|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on September 3, 2004, September 3, 2005, September 3, 2006, September 3, 2007, and September 3, 2010.|
|WikiProject Spaceflight||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
|WikiProject Solar System / Mars||(Rated C-class, Mid-importance)|
The lander failure section once said the following. I can't find a source for a bad antenna command, which sounds like Viking 1's lander's failure, not Viking 2. gparker 06:46, 30 September 2006 (UTC)
"The Viking 2 Lander operated on the surface for 1281 Mars days. It was inadvertantly commanded to point its high gain antenna downward on April 11, 1980, after which contact was never re-established, despite attempts at certain favorable times to refect command signals from Earth off the Martian surface into the down pointing antenna dish."
I'm not sure, but maybe it is worth adding somewhere that Viking 2 was outlived recently by Spirit. VERY damn impressive, considering power source and transport system in both. --18.104.22.168 23:22, 18 August 2007 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 4 external links on Viking 2. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20141020034248/http://www.msss.com/http/ps/life/life.html to http://www.msss.com/http/ps/life/life.html
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20090930025048/http://dsc.discovery.com:80/news/2009/09/28/viking-lander-mars.html to http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/09/28/viking-lander-mars.html
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20100904132551/http://www.planetary.org:80/news/2008/0806_Alien_Rumors_Quelled_as_NASA_Announces.html to http://www.planetary.org/news/2008/0806_Alien_Rumors_Quelled_as_NASA_Announces.html
- Added archive http://web.archive.org/web/20070802044655/http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/missions/profile.cfm?MCode=Viking_02 to http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/missions/profile.cfm?MCode=Viking_02
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.