Talk:Vision mixer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Media  
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Media, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Media on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.

Recommend Split Article[edit]

It's true that "vision mixer" is a uniquely European term, as I've never heard of it before. The device pictured in the image is what I know as a production video switcher or a production switcher. This ambiguity is referenced in the article, and that is fine. However, the subject of this article is not what I would call a video switcher. When I think of a video switcher, I think of a device that routes audio from inputs to outputs. Within the category of video switchers, there are many subcategories, including:

  • Video Switcher (routes multiple inputs to one output)
  • Matrix Switcher (routes multiple inputs to multiple outputs, and one input can be routed to multiple outputs)
  • Seamless Switcher (routes multiple inputs to one output "seamlessly", i.e. with no video gremlins during the switch; usually incorporates automatic transition effects)
  • Scaling Switcher (routes multiple inputs to one output, and automatically performs format conversion if necessary)
  • Production Switcher (what this article describes. like a seamless switcher, but with much more user control and flexibility)

Many of the switchers that only route to one output actually route to two outputs. That is, they have a program output (which is what is currently being displayed or broadcast) and they have a preview output (which shows what is cued up to be displayed next).

Also, many of these switchers will optionally switch the audio associated with the video. Some can also switch the audio independently of the audio (i.e. breakaway audio). Some do not route audio at all. Here is an example of a matrix switcher.

I would recommend that this article focuses on what I call production video switchers, and that the term "video switcher" has its own article. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Snottywong (talkcontribs) 19:10, 19 April 2007

I think this should be done, not as a split as suggested, but as a disambig page at Video switcher (and maybe also redirect Video switch and the forward line from Switcher) listing the types with brief descriptions, such as those provided above by Snottywong. --tonsofpcs (Talk) 14:36, 26 May 2008 (UTC)

Cleen Feed bus[edit]

I have added a reference to the clean feed signal. I don't know if this term is used in US, I am quite sure it is in Europe. However, since it is reported in any Sony, Grass Valley, Philips or Snell & Wilcox switcher I have seen, it should be of common use.

Morningfrost (talk) 19:26, 22 May 2008 (UTC)

The term "clean feed" is used in the US, mostly on remote trucks (OB vans) used for sports broadcasts. It is, as you mentioned in your article edit, the program output before any downstream keys are added. Thomprod (talk) 03:19, 23 May 2008 (UTC)


Morningfrost (talk) 08:24, 26 May 2008 (UTC)


The two pictures of actual production switchers are of a Snell & Wilcox switcher, and a Ross switcher. In the TV production world, the dominant switchers (by far) are those manufactured by Sony and Grass Valley. I intend to take two pictures of switchers, one a Sony and one a Grass Valley, upload them to Commons, and use them on this page, as I feel they are more representative of the actual switchers in use on 90% of the HD TV trucks and control rooms in the world. Rockypedia (talk) 21:10, 22 November 2015 (UTC)