Talk:Voiced retroflex sibilant

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Linguistics / Phonetics   
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Linguistics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of linguistics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by Phonetics Task Force.

"Rida" in Swedish[edit]

While I'm not a linguist myself... I don't think many swedes pronounce Rida with a retroflex fricative. Maybe it's used by some dialects, but I would say Alveolar flap is much more common. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 17:46, 4 January 2008 (UTC)

You say "maybe." If you don't even know, then we can take it out and someone willing to include it again can source it. — Ƶ§œš¹ [aɪm ˈfɻɛ̃ⁿdˡi] 20:34, 4 January 2008 (UTC)

[ʐ] = [ʒˠ]?[edit]

Is it possible to view this sound as a velarized [ʒ], i.e. [ʒˠ] or [ʒ̴], just like the way [ʑ] is equal to [ʒʲ]? — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 13:28, 10 November 2011 (UTC)

No it's quite distinct from that. [ʒˠ] would have a secondary narrowing (articulation) in the velar area, while [ʐ] is made using the tip of the tongue curled up and without any secondary articulations (and it could, technically, be velarized: [ʐˠ]). --JorisvS (talk) 14:21, 10 November 2011 (UTC)

Same as French "j" (as in "je")?[edit]

Is this the same sound as French "j" (as in French "je")? (talk) 21:20, 4 July 2016 (UTC)

No, that's a different sound, a voiced palato-alveolar sibilant, though they are similar. --JorisvS (talk) 18:39, 5 July 2016 (UTC)