- The following is a closed discussion of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. Editors desiring to contest the closing decision should consider a move review. No further edits should be made to this section.
The result of the move request was: Moved.(non-admin closure) Winged Blades Godric 09:19, 12 June 2017 (UTC)
WIFR → WIFR-LD – WIFR-LD 126.96.36.199 (talk) 23:03, 1 June 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose WIFR should've stayed in its own page. That preserves its history of a now defunct full-power station. Create a new page for low-power WIFR-LD, even if it doesn't have alot of history. For example, look at KEVN-LD. The article shows that intellectual unit moved from a full-power a low-power station. Even though its the same station per se, it is treated as two separate stations. The low-power city of license is Rockford, but the former full power COL was Freeport. Csworldwide1 (talk) 02:53, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support There is no literal history to WIFR-LD outside of whatever applications DTV America made and nothing ever came to air before today. All of the details of what would have been W22EE-D (including the more southern transmitter) were thrown out the moment Gray proposed to move that license to use the full power WIFR tower/transmitter at a lower power and it was approved by the FCC. Just move WIFR to WIFR-LD; for all intents and purposes all that was done here was that a low power construction permit was moved to transmit a full power station, the latter was turned in and now it runs on the former; it's pretty much the WCIX/WTVJ 1995 swap in facilities, except nothing ever aired on one license. Nate • (chatter) 04:17, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- Support: For all intents and purposes, the new WIFR-LD is the same as the old WIFR, with the only technical differences being related to the low-power nature of WIFR-LD. Even if the license is different (and despite the fact that the city of license changed as a result), the "new" station existed only on paper prior to May 31, and all non-license aspects of WIFR-LD are simply carried over from the original WIFR. It's not entirely the same situation as KEVN-LD, where despite also using a new low-power station, no full-power licenses were surrendered (indeed, an additional factor in Rapid City was that when the KOTA-TV intellectual unit moved to the former KEVN-TV license when the KEVN intellectual unit went to the low-power station, that only involved KOTA's main ABC channel — its digital subchannels remained on the old KOTA-TV license as KQME. In that case, since both the new KOTA-TV and KQME do have programming continuity with the original KOTA-TV and every license involved managed to survive the transition, it evidently was simpler to stick to license histories there). It's also not quite the same situation as two other spectrum auction-related license surrenders on May 31 involving Gray, WAGT and KGHZ — in those cases, successors WAGT-CD and KSPR-LD have actually existed for many years with other programming before being reborn as the low-power replacements for now-defunct full-power licenses. In this case, though, it might be too confusing to have separate articles for WIFR and WIFR-LD when, excluding any pre-2016 construction permits, WIFR-LD simply did not exist when the old WIFR was in operation — especially since having separate articles would create the impression of "WIFR is now defunct", when in reality only its original full-power license is gone and the non-license aspects of WIFR have otherwise continued normally. (Even the station's announcement of the change admits that "The overwhelming majority of viewers will not see any changes or experience any disruption whatsoever," even after saying that the WIFR license had been sold and that "a new station, WIFR-LD, will commence operations".) I also don't see how moving this article would necessarily wipe out the history of the prior full-power license. --WCQuidditch ☎ ✎ 22:09, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of a requested move. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page or in a move review. No further edits should be made to this section.