Talk:Wildlife sanctuaries of India
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Wildlife sanctuaries of India article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Legislation from Official website of: Government of India, Ministry of Environment & Forests
- “Legislations on Environment, Forests, and Wildlife” from the Official website of: Government of India, Ministry of Environment & Forests
- “India’s Forest Conservation Legislaton: Acts, Rules, Guidelines”, from the Official website of: Government of India, Ministry of Environment & Forests
- Wildlife Legislations, including - “The Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act” from the Official website of: Government of India, Ministry of Environment & Forests
- Official website of: Government of India, Ministry of Environment & Forests
Atulsnischal 15:36, 29 January 2007 (UTC)
In the first 20 or so listings, I found 6 items for which we have articles, but which either were redlinks, or were piped so they show a different name. In addition, I found one that looked like a link but that went to an article on food. I have fixed these.
We should use the Wikipedia names in this list. If the name is incorrect, the article should be moved, rather than hiding the incorrect name behind a pipe. I have no idea how many like this there are. If I have time I will try to continue working on this a bit. Don Lammers (talk) 14:07, 5 January 2013 (UTC)
I have gotten down to "Tundah". I've been doing the following for blue links:
- See if the link goes directly to a sanctuary article.
- If not, go to the article (usually a town) and see if it contains the name of the sanctuary.
- If it doesn't, type the town name into Google search and see if there are any hits for the sanctuary (not just the town).
For red links
- Copy the link into Wikipedia search and see if there is a related sanctuary article. It seems that often the name here has just been truncated, but we already have a fully named article.
- If not, search in WP for any article containing the redlink text. If nothing else, this often tells me what the article should be named, as the sanctuary is fully named in some other article.
- If not, do a google search and see if I can figure out the name.
- If all fails, leave it alone.
At this point, I am making corrections to (just a guess) 70% or more of the entries. Short names are not always good. They can be (and are) used on government portals where all items listed are sanctuaries, but this doesn't work on Wikipedia, where there is probably a town or something else named the same. Don Lammers (talk) 17:41, 5 January 2013 (UTC)
To make things easier to cross-check with state articles, I have consolidated the states and put states in alphabetical order. As I (slowly) check these with the state articles and wikilink where possible, I will probably alphabetize within states as well, but at least this gives us a bit of organization while editing.
I found this document Wildlife Nashik: Jurisdiction, and noted that not all of them were listed. I added Yedshi, but Naigaon Mayur Wildlife Sanctuary still needs an entry.
So I opened Wildlife Borivali: Jurisdiction, and the first one I checked - Mayureshwar Supe Wildlife Sanctuary - wasn't on the list either.