Talk:Yamamoto Gonnohyōe

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search


I have seen the sources which states Gonnohyoe is his name; all Japese sources I've ever known said his name is Gonbe (or Gombei). Would you like to let me know why you decided to name this article Gonnohyoe? If you can't, I think to move it to Yamamoto Gombei later. --Aphaea 09:16, 19 Oct 2004 (UTC)

Although I am a Japanese, the name of Yamamoto Gombei, Yamamoto Gonnohyoue, and Yamamoto Gonbyoue is used for him. Being used generally in Japan is Yamamoto Gonbei.(UTC)

It's Gonbee (ごんべえ), not Gonbei (ごんべい). --Insomniacpuppy 07:46, 23 February 2007 (UTC)

Gonbee vs. Gonnohyōe[edit]

Hi Neier, if you read Hiragana, please check 山本権兵衛.

It's not the matter of kanji pronunciation. It's just his real name vs. nickname. Prince Harry’s real name is Prince Henry and that won't change no matter how one may want to pronounce it. It's the same thing.

Historically 権兵衛 was always pronounced “Gonbee,” but hardly ever “Gonnohyōe.” Yamamoto was in fact just about the only high-profile figure who used that “profoundly-sounding” alternative, which many people back then actually thought was funny.

I know a lot of English references list him as Gonnohyōe Yamamoto, but it’s actually a common mistake.

--Insomniacpuppy 07:46, 23 February 2007 (UTC)

Thanks for the link. I didn't think to check the ja: wiki. I didn't realize that ごんべえ was a real pronunciation of the kanji and I also misread the reference (I thought Gonbee was the nickname given; not the other way around). Sorry for the extra reversion. Neier 09:34, 23 February 2007 (UTC)