Talk:Yoke (aeronautics)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Talk:Yoke (aircraft))
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Aviation / Aircraft (Rated Stub-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of the Aviation WikiProject. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the project and see lists of open tasks and task forces. To use this banner, please see the full instructions.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by the aircraft project.

Can't find free image[edit]

I tried a google image search of and for good images of a yoke and couldn't find nothin' that would qualify. Odd. knoodelhed 12:28, 20 December 2005 (UTC)

I found several.

None of those are in the public domain čĥàñľōŕď 23:22, 8 February 2006 (UTC)
I'm guessing this is no longer required, but I took a photo of the cockpit of a Cessna 152 a few weeks ago. Let me know if you would like to use the yoke portion of the picture in this article. Whippen (talk)

Is it really also called a stearing wheel?

What does this article need?[edit]

What does this article need, to bring it up to scratch and out of stub class status?

From my point of view, there is not a lot more that can be added, without duplicating info already in articles like Any suggestions as to what more we can do to improve this article? Whippen (talk) 11:38, 26 June 2008 (UTC)

From my point of view (I design flight control systems for a living), this article needs substantial overhaul. At the very least it should avoid inventing new terminology, e.g. no one in the industry actually refers to "U-shaped" or "W-shaped" or "M-shaped" control yokes. It should probably also acknowledge that some in the industry use "yoke" NOT as a synonym for "control wheel," but to refer to two-handed variants of low-hinged inceptors that would otherwise be referred to as "sticks" (e.g. Spitfire is probably the most well-known example). Jelliott4 (talk) 20:22, 14 September 2016 (UTC)


As far as I know, nobody in aviation uses the term "joystick", it's always "side-stick" (Airbus) or plain "stick" (or "centre-stick"). I'm going to correct the article accordingly, but I'd welcome any comments or corrections. Ptrt (talk) 19:24, 21 November 2008 (UTC)

As far as I know, I only use the term "joystick", as do all of the pilots I know who fly light aircraft. "Yoke" is reserved for those aircraft like the Cessna 150/152 that have what, to non-pilots, looks like a steering wheel. Emeraude (talk) 15:26, 26 February 2012 (UTC)