This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Year founded||February 1999|
|First issue||August 2, 1999|
Talk was an American magazine published from 1999 to 2002. The magazine generated notoriety for its celebrity profiles and interviews. The magazine was a joint venture of Miramax's Talk Media and Heart Magazines. Hearst would manage circulation, manufacturing, newsstand distribution and subscription fulfillment. Talk Media was in charge of advertising sales, editorial content and marketing.
History and profile
Talk Media was founded in July 1998 by Miramax Films, Tina Brown and Ron Galotti to publishing books and Talk magazine and produce television programs. Talk Media formed a joint venture with Heart Magazines for the magazine only in February 1999.
The first issue of Talk appeared in September 1999. The cover story of the debut issue was an interview with Hillary Clinton, which took place shortly after the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal, in which she explained that her husband Bill Clinton had a chronic need to please women. The Washington Post reported that at times, "Talk seemed more interested in promoting such Miramax stars as Gwyneth Paltrow than in politics." However, the magazine never became a commercial success, and was shut down on January 18, 2002. Politico.com estimated that Brown had "bombed through some $50 million in 2 1/2 years" on the failed venture. A $1 million contract settlement in 2002 ended Browns' involvement in Talk Media.
- Alex Kuczynski; Geraldine Fabrikant (19 January 2002). "Lifelines Cut, Talk Magazine Goes Silent". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Miramax Films and Hearst Magazines Announce Plans to Publish Talk". Hearst Publishing. February 11, 1999. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Kurtz, Howard (2002-01-19). "Tina Brown's Talk Magazine Suddenly Silenced". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- David Carr (3 August 2009). "The Media Equation; 10 Years Ago, An Omen No One Saw". The New York Times. p. 1. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- Norris, John (May/June 2014). "How to Lose $100 Million". POLITICO Magazine. Politico.com. Retrieved 2017-05-05. Check date values in:
|This entertainment magazine or journal–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.
|This United States–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|