Talk Dirty to Me
|"Talk Dirty to Me"|
|Single by Poison|
|from the album Look What the Cat Dragged In|
|B-side||Want Some, Need Some|
|Released||February 18, 1987|
|Format||7 inch vinyl, CD single, digital download|
|Genre||Glam metal, punk rock|
|Writer(s)||Dall; DeVille; Michaels; Rockett|
|Poison singles chronology|
"Talk Dirty to Me" is the second single from Poison, originally from the album Look What the Cat Dragged In. It was the band's first big international hit. It is a staple on their live shows and was named by VH1 the 40th greatest hard rock song of all time. It is considered a glam metal classic and is often heard on rock radio stations around the globe. It peaked at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's first top 40 hit in the United States. The single has since been certified platinum.
The song, along with "I Won't Forget You", "Fallen Angel" and "Ride the Wind", was the subject of a lawsuit in 2011 by members of the defunct band Kid Rocker, who claimed that the songs were based on Kid Rocker songs played to Poison guitarist C.C. DeVille before he was a member of Poison.
"Talk Dirty to Me" is on the following albums.
- Look What the Cat Dragged In
- Swallow This Live (live version)
- Poison's Greatest Hits: 1986-1996
- Crack a Smile... and More! (Unplugged)
- Power to the People (live version)
- The Best of Poison: 20 Years of Rock
- Look What the Cat Dragged In – 20th Anniversary Edition
- It appears as a backmasked 30 second clip "Ode to C.C. (Part 1)" on the vinyl version of The Flaming Lips 1987 album Oh My Gawd!!!.
- It appears in Grandma's Boy.
- It appears in Rock of Ages.
- It appears in 1987 movie Under Cover.
- It appears in Rock of Love with Bret Michaels.
- It appears in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock.
- It has been released as purchasable content for the Rock Band videogame series.
- It is downloadable track for Guitar Hero III Mobile.
- It appears in episode "My Heavy Meddle" of Scrubs.
- First lyrics of the chorus provided name for At the Drive-In.
- It is downloadable track for Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.
- It is spoofed as an episode titled "Talk Derby to Me" of Psych.
- Poison infamously performed it at Video Music Awards in 1991.
- Actors portraying Poison performed it during a concert scene in Hot Tub Time Machine.
- It is downloadable track for Rock Band 3.
- It appears in The Heavy Metal Box.
- It is covered by Children of Bodom on the Japanese release of Are You Dead Yet? and appearing again on their covers album Skeletons in the Closet, but on European version.
- It is covered in an a cappella version by Judy Reyes and Sam Lloyd during the show Scrubs
- It is covered by Jughead's Revenge on the album Punk Goes Metal.
- It is covered by Reel Big Fish on their cover album Fame, Fortune and Fornication.
- It is covered by Regatta 69 on the cover compilation MetalliSka – A Ska Tribute to 80's Metal.
- It is covered by Static-X as a free download via a code when the Best Buy exclusive version of Cult of Static is purchased.
- "Allmusic (Poison charts and awards) Billboard singles".
- "POISON Responds To Song Theft Allegations". Blabbermouth.net. 27 October 2011. Archived from the original on 27 October 2011. Retrieved 28 October 2011.