|Industry||Software as a service|
|Founders||Cristina Fonseca, Tiago Paiva|
Talkdesk is a cloud-based contact center and AI software provider. Its headquarters are in San Francisco, with offices in both Lisbon and Porto, Portugal. Talkdesk is a Unicorn, holding a market valuation of over $1 billion.
In 2011, Talkdesk co-founders Cristina Fonseca and Tiago Paiva noticed the paradigm regarding call center software was not only sloppy but outdated. Fonseca and Paiva entered a contest hosted by Twilio and built the first version of Talkdesk using Twilio's API in 10 days. They were selected to present at Twilio's conference and after winning were invited to join 500 Startup's third batch.
Cristina Fonseca and Tiago Paiva founded the company in 2011 and raised $450,000. Talkdesk demonstrated at TechCrunch Disrupt in New York in May, 2012. In August 2014, the company raised $3.15 million led by Storm Ventures.
On October 27, 2015, Talkdesk announced a program to provide technology startups with free licenses.
Talkdesk uses WebRTC technology and Twilio telephony. They use Backbone.js for the frontend and Ruby-related technologies (Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Sidekiq, etc.) for the backend. Talkdesk also takes advantage of some NoSQL solutions such as MongoDB, Redis for storage and caching solutions, as well as RabbitMQ for inter-application messaging and leverage internal hypermedia APIs.
- DuVander, Adam. "REAL COMPANIES SPRING FROM LATEST TWILIO CONTEST", Programmable Web, 23 August 2011.
- Morrill, Danielle. "Announcing Twilio Fund Companies Presenting at TwilioCon", Twilio Blog, 20 September 2011.
- "Talkdesk - 500 Startups". www.500.co.
- "Talkdesk | crunchbase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- Lawler, Ryan. "Talkdesk Puts Your Company Call Center In The Cloud", TechCrunch, New York, 22 May 2012.
- Kokalitcheva, Kia. "Talkdesk grabs $3.15M for its 'call center in the browser'", VentureBeat, 16 September 2014.
- Lynley, Matthew. "Talkdesk, A Startup That Spins Up Call Centers, Raises $15M", TechCrunch, 9 June 2015.
- Clancy, Heather. "Another cloud call-center startup that has people talking", Fortune, 9 June 2015.
- Storm Ventures. "Benchmarking Your SaaS Start-Up with Emergence Capital, Storm Ventures, Talkdesk, Guidespark", SlideShare, 2 October 2014.
- Klingshirn, Greg. "Benchmarking SaaS Startups: How Am I Really Doing?", SalesLoft, November 2014.
- Lemkin, Jason. "Gadi Shamia, COO of Talkdesk: "8 Things I Learned After Joining a Hyper-Growth SaaS Startup"", SaaStr, 15 May 2015.
- Roof, Katie. "Talkdesk Call Center Software "Growing Like Crazy"", TechCrunch, 8 December 2015.
- "Twilio Cloud Communications - APIs for Voice, VoIP, and Text Messaging". www.twilio.com.
- "Talkdesk - Crunchbase". Crunchbase.
- "Talkdesk". GitHub.