Tallman Mountain State Park
|Tallman Mountain State Park|
Tallman Mountain State Park as seen from
the end of a Piermont pier
Location of Tallman Mountain State Park
within New York State
Sparkill, New York
|Area||687 acres (2.78 km2)|
|Visitors||293,615 (in 2014)|
|Website||Tallman Mountain State Park|
Tallman Mountain State Park is a 687-acre (2.78 km2) state park in Rockland County, New York, located adjacent to the Hudson River in the Town of Orangetown just south of Piermont. It is part of the Palisades Interstate Park System.
Tallman Mountain State Park was formed in 1928 after the Palisades Interstate Park Commission moved to condemn the 164-acre (0.66 km2) property of a quarry operator in an effort to preserve a portion of the Hudson River Palisades. Park facilities were improved in 1933 by Temporary Emergency Relief Administration workers, who constructed a swimming pool, recreation fields, and picnic areas. The park was expanded in 1942 with the addition of 542 adjacent acres (2.19 km2).
Tallman Mountain State Park is a day-use only park containing five miles (8 km) of hiking trails, including sections of the Long Path and the Tallman Mountain Bike Path. The park also offers a running track, tennis courts, playing fields, cross-country skiing, and picnic areas. For an additional fee, visitors may also use a pool complex within the park, operated by a private vendor under an agreement with the Palisades Interstate Park Commission since summer 2016.
- "Tallman Mountain State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 674. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "Tallman Mountain Park, NY". The Palisades Parks Conservancy. Archived from the original on October 29, 2009. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "Tallman Mountain State Park". New York-New Jersey Trail Conference. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "Tallman Beach & Pool Club". Tallman Beach & Pool Club. Retrieved November 14, 2016.
- "Hudson River National Estuarine Research Reserve". NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "Piermont Marsh". NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- New York State Parks: Tallman Mountain State Park
- New York-New Jersey Trail Conference: Tallman Mountain State Park details and trail information
|This article about a location in Rockland County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|