Tallulah Falls, Georgia
- This article refers to the town. For the lake, see Lake Tallulah Falls, for the waterfalls and gorge, see Tallulah Gorge and for the river, see Tallulah River.
|Tallulah Falls, Georgia|
Location in Habersham County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||8.6 sq mi (22.1 km2)|
|• Land||8.2 sq mi (21.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,719 ft (524 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0333182|
Tallulah Falls is a town in Habersham and Rabun counties in the U.S. state of Georgia near the Tallulah River. The population was 168 at the 2010 census. It started out in the 1880s as a tourist town for the multitude of visitors to Tallulah Falls.
Tallulah Bankhead (1902-1968) was named after her paternal grandmother, who in turn was named after Tallulah Falls.
Tallulah Falls is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 8.6 square miles (22.1 km²), of which, 8.1 square miles (21.1 km²) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km²) of it (4.68%) is water. U.S. Highway 441, one of the principal thoroughfares into the Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountains, bisects the town.
As of the census of 2000, there were 164 people, 71 households, and 47 families residing in the town. The population density was 20.1 people per square mile (7.8/km²). There were 106 housing units at an average density of 13.0 per square mile (5.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 100.00% White.
There were 71 households out of which 35.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.0% were married couples living together, 5.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.4% were non-families. 28.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the town the population was spread out with 22.6% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 25.0% from 25 to 44, 31.1% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 100.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $40,833, and the median income for a family was $52,500. Males had a median income of $43,750 versus $25,000 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,663. About 4.2% of families and 10.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under the age of eighteen and 34.4% of those sixty five or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). "Historical Gazetteer of the United States". Routledge. p. 249. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.