|Motto: "The Jewel of Jackson County"|
Location in Jackson County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||1.7 sq mi (4.5 km2)|
|• Land||1.7 sq mi (4.5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||915 ft (279 m)|
|• Density||280.6/sq mi (106/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0323901|
|Website||City of Talmo Georgia|
Talmo calls itself "The Jewel of Jackson County."
The community was settled in 1840 on a Cherokee trail and derives its name from Talmocoe, a local Cherokee leader. It was incorporated in 1920. Talmo, and the surrounding county of Jackson was known for its company of dragoons ( a state unit guard of the 9th regiment of Georgia's confederate cavalry under the command of Capt.DeLaperrier) who were called upon to defend cities in and around Atlanta, Savannah and even into Gettysburg. Many died in battle and some of those soldiers were laid to rest in their localities.
Talmo is located at (34.187587, -83.716387).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 477 people, 146 households, and 116 families residing in the town. The population density was 275.5 people per square mile (106.5/km²). There were 150 housing units at an average density of 86.6 per square mile (33.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 79.45% White, 4.19% African American, 0.21% Native American, 13.21% from other races, and 2.94% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 43.82% of the population.
There were 146 households out of which 48.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.6% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.9% were non-families. 9.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.27 and the average family size was 3.41.
In the town, the population was spread out with 32.1% under the age of 18, 13.6% from 18 to 24, 36.9% from 25 to 44, 13.0% from 45 to 64, and 4.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 26 years. For every 100 females there were 119.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 129.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $30,750, and the median income for a family was $31,442. Males had a median income of $20,938 versus $15,000 for females. The per capita income for the town was $14,256. About 12.6% of families and 18.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.3% of those under age 18 and 6.7% of those age 65 or over.
- "City of Talmo Georgia". City of Talmo Georgia. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Talmo, Georgia.|
- City of Talmo Georgia Portal-style website, government, business, library, recreation, and more
- City-Data.com Comprehensive statistical data and more about Talmo