Talvisota: Icy Hell
|Talvisota: Icy Hell|
|Developer(s)||Blitzfront Game Studio|
|Publisher(s)||Nival Interactive (in CIS countries)
Blitzfront Game Studio (in Finland)
|Release date(s)||November 16, 2007 (CIS countries)
October 2, 2008 (Finland)
|Genre(s)||Real-time tactics, Educational game|
Talvisota: Icy Hell (Russian "Talvisota: Ледяной ад") is a real-time tactics and educational computer game, developed by the international developer group Blitzfront Game Studio and is based on the events of the Winter War (Finnish: Talvisota) conflict of 1939–1940 between Finland and the Soviet Union.
- Two long campaigns for Soviet and Finnish sides.
- Historically accurate.
- Based on real political and historical events before and during the Winter War.
- Historical encyclopedia and archives videos.
- Molotov cocktails, soldiers speaking Russian and Finnish, authentic battle-front reports, airplanes, skiing troops, satchel charges, flamethrower tanks, and experimental units.
The game's development started with the Russian language online community, which consisted of people from different countries, who were interested in military history and historical games. In 2004 they started wondering why nobody did a game about the Winter War, the highly interesting war conflict, although somewhat unknown to the public. They decided to make the game themselves.
Because of different publishing problems, the game wasn't released for a long time despite development being completely finished. At the end of 2007 the game was finally released in CIS countries in Russian. A year later, at the end of 2008, the game was released in Finland in English.
The game received generally positive reviews from game critics. The main web site of all Finnish historians has reviewed the game from the historical and cultural perspectives, and their opinion was generally positive.
There were some negative opinions as well. As an example, Finnish Captain Olli Ovaska said that the game claimed that the Finnish military attacked the USSR on the first day of the war. But according to the game developers, Olli Ovaska misunderstood something as they never claimed such a thing.
- 06.12.2008. Itsenäisyyspäivän yövieraana Talvisota: Icy Hell tietokonepelin tuottaja Mikko Vedru, Radio Suomi.