Dobson in Cleopatra Jones, 1973
Tamara Janice Dobson|
May 14, 1947
Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
October 2, 2006 (aged 59)|
Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
|Resting place||Woodlawn Cemetery, Woodlawn, Maryland, U.S.|
|Education||Maryland Institute College of Art|
|Known for||Cleopatra Jones – Cleopatra Jones, Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
Tamara Janice Dobson (May 14, 1947 – October 2, 2006) was an American actress and fashion model. Beginning her career in modeling during the late 1960s, Dobson became best known for her title role as government agent Cleopatra "Cleo" Jones the 1973 Blaxploitation film Cleopatra Jones and its 1975 sequel Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold.
Early life and education
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Dobson was the second of four children born to Melvin and Evelyn Dobson (née Russell). Dobson started as a beautician. Dobson started her modeling career doing fashion shows at her school, Maryland Institute College of Art, where she also received her degree in fashion illustration. While studying, Dobson was discovered in 1969 and began to film commercials and modeling.
After school, Dobson moved from Maryland to New York to model and act full-time. Dobson modeled for Jet Magazine sometime during her early modeling career. Dobson eventually became a fashion model for Vogue Magazine, in addition to modeling for Essence magazine. She was also in TV commercials for Revlon, Fabergé, and Chanel. Dobson is also recognized by the Guinness book of world records as the "Tallest Leading Lady in Film", standing at 6 foot 2 inches.Aside from Cleopatra Jones, Dobson has roles in other films such as; Come Back, Charleston Blue, Chained Heat and Norman... Is That You?.
Dobson was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2000. Dobson died on October 2, 2006 at Keswick Multi-Care Center in Baltimore, Maryland, of complications from pneumonia and multiple sclerosis, at age 59. Dobson never married nor had children.
- Come Back, Charleston Blue (1972) – (uncredited) 
- Fuzz (1972) – Rochelle
- Cleopatra Jones (1973) – Cleopatra "Cleo" Jones
- Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold (1975) – Cleopatra "Cleo" Jones
- Norman... Is That You? (1976) – Audrey
- Murder at the World Series (TV) (1977) – Lisa
- Jason of Star Command (1979) – Samantha
- Chained Heat (1983) – Duchess
- Amazons (TV) (1984) – Rosalund Joseph (Last appearance)
- Lentz III, Harris M. "Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2006: Film, Television, Radio, Theatre". Google Books. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- McCann, Bob. "Encyclopedia of African American Actresses in Film and Television (Tamara Dobson)". Google Books. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- "(JET Magazine) Tamara Dobson, 59: Known For 'Cleopatra Jones' Film Roles". Google Books. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- "Smart, Tall and Beautiful, Tamara Dobson | African American Registry". www.aaregistry.org. Retrieved 2015-12-05.
- "Tamara Dobson, 59; Former Model Starred in `Cleopatra Jones' Movies". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- Thompson, M. Cordell. "(JET Magazine) Tamara Dobson: Tall, Tough And Talented Actor". Google Books. Retrieved 2018-06-11.
- David Michael Ettlin (October 6, 2006). "Cleopatra Jones star Tamara Dobson dies at 59". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Tamara Dobson, 59, Model and Actress, Dies". The New York Times. October 6, 2006. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Actress Tamara Dobson, 59, starred as `Cleopatra Jones'". Baltimore Sun. October 5, 2006. Retrieved 2011-01-30.