Tamara W. Ashford
|Judge of the United States Tax Court|
December 19, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Mary Cohen|
|Born||December 1968 (age 46)|
|Alma mater||Duke University
University of Miami
Tamara Wenda Ashford (born December 1968) is currently a Article I Judge of the United States Tax Court and formerly the Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Appellate and Review in the Tax Division at the United States Department of Justice.
Ashford received an A.B. degree from Duke University, a J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School and an LL.M. degree from University of Miami School of Law. She began her legal career as a law clerk to Judge John C. Martin of the North Carolina Court of Appeals. From 1997 to 2001, she served as an attorney with the Appellate Section of the Tax Division at the United States Department of Justice. From 2001 to 2004, she served as a senior associate at the law firm of Miller & Chevalier in Washington, D.C. From 2004 to 2007, she served as Assistant to the Commissioner of Internal Revenue. From 2008 to 2011, she served as a member of the Tax Controversy and Litigation Group at the law firm of Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP in Washington D.C. Since 2011, she has served as the Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Appellate and Review in the Tax Division at the United States Department of Justice.
United States Tax Court
On September 18, 2013, President Obama nominated Ashford to be a Judge of the United States Tax Court for a term of fifteen years, to the seat vacated by Judge Mary Ann Cohen, who took senior status on October 1, 2012.  On January 15, 2014, Ashford testified before the Senate Finance Committee "that through her past experiences she has "amassed the temperament and skills to be an independent arbiter," and that if confirmed, she would resolve tax controversies "fairly, impartially and expeditiously."" On February 4, 2014, the Senate Finance Committee "approved the nominations of Tamara W. Ashford and L. Paige Marvel to serve as U.S. Tax Court judges."
- "President Obama Nominates Tamara W. Ashford to the United States Tax Court". White House, Office of the Press Secretary. September 17, 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". The White House, Office of the Press Secretary. September 18, 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "TAX COURT JUDGE NOMINEE ASHFORD TESTIFIES BEFORE FINANCE COMMITTEE". Tax Notes Today (2014 TNT 11-29). January 2014.
- Shreve, Meg (February 2014). "FINANCE COMMITTEE APPROVES ASHFORD AND MARVEL FOR TAX COURT". Tax Notes Today. 2014 TNT 25-5.
- United States Tax Court: Judge Ashford
|Judge of the United States Tax Court