Tamarack Ski Area (Troy, Idaho)
|Tamarack Ski Area|
|Location||East Moscow Mountain
Latah County, Idaho, U.S.
|Nearest city||Troy - 7 mi (11 km)
Moscow - 17 mi (27 km)
|Vertical||600 ft (180 m)|
|Top elevation||4,400 ft (1,340 m) AMSL|
|Base elevation||3,800 ft (1,160 m)|
|Lift system||1 T-bar
1 rope tow
It was founded in 1966 just below the summit of East Moscow Mountain on Tamarack Road, its slopes faced east and southeast. The area had various owners and, due to varying snowfall, was open intermittently for several decades. The land on which the ski area operated was owned by the city of Troy. It operated two surface lifts: a T-bar and a rope tow, with a vertical drop of 600 feet (180 m). A three-story A-frame structure served as the day lodge. Tamarack's target market was Moscow and Pullman, Washington, and primarily its respective students at the University of Idaho and Washington State University.
Owed back taxes, Latah County seized the leasehold improvements (equipment & buildings) and put up for auction in February 1992, but there were no takers for the minimum bid of $21,000. The city of Troy sued the leaseholders and entered in an agreement with the county to pay the back taxes after the sale of the T-bar lift in April, which started at a minimum bid of $1,900.  The lift was purchased by Cottonwood Butte ski area near Cottonwood; Tamarack's A-frame day lodge was later demolished and its foundation removed.
- Devlin, Sherry (December 25, 1983). "UI student sees way to operate ski area". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. p. 3-The Handle.
- "Tamarack ski area faces closure due to financial difficulties". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. July 8, 1971. p. 20.
- "Tamarack ski run sold for $17,750". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. July 30, 1971. p. 18.
- "Tamarack ski resort being brought back to life". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. December 26, 1986. p. 19.
- "Troy bans Tamarack opening for faulty insurance coverage". Idahonian. Moscow. January 6, 1990. p. 2.
- "Troy trying to sell Tamarack ski area". Moscow-Pullman Daily News. Idaho-Washington. March 14, 1992. p. 10A.
- "Moscow Mountain ski area lodge near completion". University of Idaho Library, Digital Initiatives. 1965. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- Fattah, Geoffrey (July 12, 1996). "Vandalism growing on Troy acreage". Moscow-Pullman Daily News. Idaho-Washington. p. 3A.
- Beiser, Mike. "Moscow Mountains, Tamarack Ski Area, and the Giant Cedar Grove". University of Idaho. campus recreation: outdoor program. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Huntington, Rebecca (January 30, 1997). "Big fun on the small hills". Lewiston Morning Tribune. Idaho. p. 1C.