|Genres||Dream pop, shoegaze, post-punk, gothic rock, synth-pop, electronic|
|Labels||Troubleman Records, M'Lady's Records, True Panther Sounds, Hell, Yes! Records, Mexican Summer Records|
Tamaryn (born Tamaryn Brown) is a vocalist and songwriter born in New Zealand and now based in the United States. Since 2008, Tamaryn has released three studio albums, an EP and several singles. Her multifaceted style melds various genres such as dream pop, shoegaze, post-punk, gothic rock, synth-pop and electronic.
Beginning a long collaboration with Californian guitarist Rex John Shelverton (Portraits of Past, the Audience, Vue and Bellavista), Tamaryn self-released a 2008 debut EP, Led Astray, Washed Ashore (later reissued on Troubleman Records), followed by several 7" singles.
In late summer 2012, Mexican Summer released "I'm Gone," the first single from Tamaryn's second album, Tender New Signs, which was released in October of that year. It was her final album with Shelverton as her collaborator.
On Record Store Day 2013, Mexican Summer released a cover of Turning Shrines song "1/4 Circle Black" performed by Jorge Elbrecht (Lansing-Dreiden, Violens) and Tamaryn.
Her third album, Cranekiss (2015), featured production by Elbrecht and additional instrumentation by Shaun Durkan (Weekend), and a shift in sonic focus. "I wanted to take everything I'd been doing and shake it up like a snow globe to see how it all fell together", Tamaryn said in a Noisey interview. Pitchfork writer Jes Skolnik said that Cranekiss "moves from the denser shoegaze thickets of Tender New Signs and The Waves into a pure, sugary dream-pop world. No longer competing for sonic space with a heavy wash of guitar, Tamaryn's voice, even drenched in reverb, becomes the focus". AllMusic critic Heather Phares declared that Cranekiss was "a beautiful pop fantasia that finds Tamaryn expressing her music's passion and sensuality in exciting new ways", and called the album's combination of shoegaze and synth-pop "some of her most arresting music yet".
- The Waves (2010, Mexican Summer)
- Tender New Signs (2012, Mexican Summer/Kemado Records)
- Cranekiss (2015, Mexican Summer)
Singles and EPs
- Led Astray, Washed Ashore EP (2008, self-release; 2009, Troubleman Records)
- "Return to Surrender" b/w "Ashore" 7" single (2009, M'Lady's Records)
- "Mild Confusion b/w Light Shadows" 7" single (2009, True Panther Sounds/Matador Records)
- "Weather War" single-sided 7" single (2009, Hell, Yes! Records)
- "I'm Gone" digital single (2012, Mexican Summer)
- "Heavenly Bodies" digital single (2012, Mexican Summer)
- "Teenage Lust" (The Jesus and Mary Chain cover) single-side 7" flexi-disc by Les Demoniaques (Tamaryn and Dee Dee Penny of Dum Dum Girls) (2011, True Panther Sounds/Matador Records)
- "Flying Dream" on "Snakes/Flying Dream" 12" single by Ford & Lopatin (2011, Mexican Summer)
- "1/4 Circle Black" (Turning Shrines cover) single-sided 7" single by Jorge Elbrecht featuring Tamaryn (2013, Mexican Summer/Kemado Records)
- "Underground band Tamaryn generates waves of emotion". Dailybreeze.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Rising: Tamaryn | News". Pitchfork. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Tamaryn Soundtracks Lindsay Lohan Short Film". Stereogum. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Les Demoniaques". True Panther. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "Tamaryn / Ford & Lopatin / Shannon Funchess: "Snakes" / "Flying Dream" | Tracks". Pitchfork. 2011-11-14. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "Tamaryn - "I'm Gone"". Mexicansummer.com. 2012-10-16. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- Phares, Heather (2012-10-16). "Tender New Signs - Tamaryn : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-11-12.
- "when the sun hits.: Album Trailer: Dum Dum Girls || Too True". Whenthesunhitsblog.blogspot.com. 2014-01-02. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "On set filming with Bret Easton Ellis". Archived from the original on March 18, 2014. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "TAMARYN". Retrieved September 20, 2016.