Northern Inuit Dog
|Northern Inuit Dog|
|Other names||Tamaskan dog|
British Timber dog
|Breed status||Not recognised as a breed by any major kennel club.|
|Dog (domestic dog)|
The Northern Inuit Dog, along with its offshoot breed lines the Tamaskan dog, the British Timber dog and the Utonagan, is a breed of dog developed from a 1980s breeding project in the United Kingdom with the objective of producing a dog breed that resembles wolves.
Northern Inuit Dogs descend from dogs of unknown breed ancestry imported from North America in the 1980s that were crossed with Alaskan Malamutes, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies and possibly Samoyeds; the intention of the breeding project was to create a dog of wolf-like appearance that could be kept as a companion dog and that could also be trained for other tasks.
The Northern Inuit Dog breeding project subsequently split into a number of breed lines, including the Tamaskan dog, the British Timber dog and the Utonagan.
- Sorenson, John; Matsuoka, Atsuko (2019). Dog's best friend?: rethinking canid-human relations. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University. ISBN 978-0-7735-5905-9.[page needed]
- Stavinohova, Renata; Hartley, Claudia; Burmeister, Louise M.; Ricketts, Sally L.; Pettitt, Louise; Tetas Pont, Roser; Hitti, Rebekkah J.; Schofield, Ellen; Oliver, James A. C.; Mellersh, Cathryn S. (2019). "Clinical, histopathological and genetic characterisation of oculoskeletal dysplasia in the Northern Inuit Dog". PLOS ONE. 14 (8): e0220761. Bibcode:2019PLoSO..1420761S. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0220761. PMC 6695176. PMID 31415586.
- Winer, Linda (19 April 2016). "'The Crucible' stars Tamaskan, rare-breed dog, in role of wolf role". Newsday. Retrieved 31 December 2021.
- Griffin, Samuel (30 June 2016). "Tuffy II in training: new pup learns old tricks". Technician. Retrieved 31 December 2021.
- Bernstein, Viv (5 October 2014). "Sheepdog in Wolf's Clothing? Actually, Mascot Is Crossbreed". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 December 2021.
- Northern Inuit Society - governing body of the Northern Inuit dog breed