Tamboril, Dominican Republic
|• Total||63.98 km2 (24.70 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,600/km2 (4,200/sq mi)|
Tamboril is a municipality (municipio) of the Santiago province in the Dominican Republic. Tamboril is situated in the northeast part of the province, at the foot of the Cordillera Septentrional mountains, at 230 meters above sea level. The municipality has an area of 71.4 km²; it borders Puerto Plata Province (North), Licey (South), Espaillat Province (East), and Santiago (West).
The municipality was created in 1900 under the name Peña, which name it kept until 1962 when it was changed to Tamboril. The municipality contains the municipal district of Canca La Piedra, six rural sections, and 36 places (parajes). Since 2002, the mayor has been Francisco Álvarez, of the Partido Revolucionario Dominicano (PRD).
Tamboril is considered by many as the "World Capital of Cigars" housing more cigar factories and rollers than anywhere else in the world. According to magazine Cigar Aficionado, 44% of the world's most traded cigars come from the Dominican Republic, the world’s largest producer of cigars, especially from the fertile lands of the Cibao capital, where 90% of the factories are located The area has also been the largest supplier of cigars to the United States for decades, placing cigars as the 3rd largest export product in the country after gold and medical instruments.
Tamboril is the home of well known cigar makers such as La Aurora, La Flor Dominicana, Tabacalera La Palma, Alpha Cigar Company and PDR Cigars, where some of the highest-rated cigars in the world are manufactured.
Tamboril is also one of the major agricultural producers in the province, principal crops being plantains, cassava, and sweet potato, which are sold in the markets in Santiago. Cigarettes and chocolates are manufactured.
Due to the proximity to Santiago, where much of the population obtains health and education, the social services in Tamboril are abbreviated and consist of a health clinic, and two rural polyclinics. There is a state school and two libraries.
Notable People from Tamboril
- Eduardo León Jimenes, founder of La Aurora
- José León Asensio, president of Grupo León Jimenes
- Fernando Capellán, founder of Grupo M
- Federico Velázquez, ex-vice president of Dominican Republic
- Jose de Jesus Jimenez Almonte, scientist and botanist
- Horacio Vasquez Lajara, former president of Dominican Republic
- Salvador Jorge Blanco, former president of Dominican Republic
- Raymundo Polanco Alegria, founder of Aeromar
- Tomás Hernández Franco, poet
- Jose Arnaldo Blanco Polanco, founder of Tabacalera la Palma
- Jose Rafael Abinader Wassaf, politician
- Superficies a nivel de municipios, Oficina Nacional de Estadistica Archived 2009-04-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- Oficina Nacional de Estadística. "VIII Censo 2012 Población y Vivienda" (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-07-09. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- Almonte, Francisco. "DBL Cigars".
- "Best Cigars: It's Not Just Havanas". Tobaccoasia.
- Peña, Alexander. "Santiago de los Caballeros, clúster del cigarro más cotizado del mundo".
- Yakowicqs, Will. "Cuban Cigars Can Now Come to U.S. Will Anyone Care?". Inc.com.[dead link]
- "Dominican Republic's Top 10 Exports".
- "The top cigars of 2017".
- "Top cigars of 2016".
- "The top 25 cigars of 2017".
- "Grupo M: El gigante textil del Caribe".
- "Federico Velázquez".
- "Poesia Dominicana: Tomás Hernández Franco".
- "Tabacalera La Palma receives the world favorite cigar prize from European Cigar Exhibition".
|This Dominican Republic location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|