Tamer Hosny in an interview at Middle East News Agency, February 2015
|Birth name||Tamer Hosny Sherif Abbas Farghaly |
تامر حسني شريف عباس فرغلي
|Born||16 August 1977|
|Genres||Arabic pop music, Egyptian pop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, actor, composer, director, songwriter|
|Instruments||Vocal, guitar, piano, violin|
Alam El Phan (former)
Rotana Records (current)
Tamer Hosny Production (current)
Icetratt Rights Management GmbH (current)
|Website||Tamer Hosny Production[dead link]|
Tamer Hosny Sherif Abbas Farghaly (Arabic: تامر حسني شريف عباس فرغلي; born 16 August 1977), known by his artistic name Tamer Hosny (Arabic: تامر حسني), is an Egyptian singer, actor, composer, director and songwriter. He first came to public attention when he appeared on mix tapes with other Egyptian artists. Hosny launched his solo career with his 2004 album Hob, becoming a successful singer of romantic music and was given the nickname "King of the Generation" by his fans. In December 2019, Hosny broke the Guinness World Record for the most contributions to a bulletin board.
Life and career
Tamer Hosny was born in Cairo to an Egyptian father and Syrian mother. Unlike his father, Hosny Sherif Abbas, Tamer Hosny grew up with an interest in football and played the sport for five years. Tamer Hosny had his first directorial experience in 2010 when directing his music video "Sa7eet 3la Sotha". Hosny had a long-held ambition to become a director and to make his own music video. Hosny starred in the 2003 Egyptian film Halet Hob (A State of Love). In 2006, he was arrested for forging military papers to avoid serving in the army. He received a one-year prison sentence, yet he only stayed in jail for six months.
In 2012 he released "Omar & Salma 3", the third sequel to the Omar & Salma films. Hosny has frequently stated that he was not satisfied with the film. In a recent interview on the Set El Hosn program, he admitted that "I'm not happy with how the movie turned out, although many people love it and it was a box office success. I don't blame anyone else for that, I take responsibility for it. We had to make major plot changes due to financial reasons."
After three years away from the movie industry, he released Ahwak alongside Ghada Adel and Ahmed Malek. It is a romantic comedy about a young plastic surgeon who falls in love with a divorced woman. The film was a success at the box office, with total revenue of 22 million Egyptian pounds.
In 2017, Hosny released "Tesbah ala kher" (Good Night), a comedy drama about a wealthy entrepreneur who suffers from depression and hallucinations. Falcon films – the company responsible for distributing the movie in the Arab world – released an official statement saying that the movie has topped the box office in the Arab world.
During Ramadan 2011, Hosny starred in the television drama Adam. Directed by Mohammad Samy, the drama also featured Dina Fouad, Ahmed Zaher and Mai Ezz Eldin. This series achieved Big Success and high views on YouTube and won best series in 2011 in many votes His next film Omar & Salma 3 was scheduled to release in November 2011 during the Eid al-Adha holiday.
During two years Tamer Hosny had discovered more than 20 new talents in lyric writing and composing, over 5 new singers, more than 10 new actors, and Mohamed Sami as a drama and cinema director (director of his series Adam).
Hosny sang Bokra "Tomorrow (A Better You, Better Me)" a charity single that was released on 11 November 2011 at 11:11 pm, along with Rim Banna, Akon, Diana Karazon, Marwan Khoury, Latifa, Souad Massi, Hani Mitwasi, Saber Rebaï, Kathem Al-Saher, Waed, Sherine and other Arab Artists. The proceeds from the single were distributed to various organizations, institutions and charities with arts and culture programs. The eight-minute song was written by Majida El Roumi, and produced by Quincy Jones and RedOne.
Tamer Hosny recorded a new duet song with Shaggy, named "Smile". The song, written and composed by Tamer Hosny, was distributed all over the world. The music video was released at the beginning of 2012; it was shot in New York City, and garnered more than one million views in only 3 days on YouTube.
Hosny decided to make his Egyptian/Arab identity present in these collaborations, so he made Snoop Dogg appear in their music video wearing Egyptian traditional cloths known as Jellabiya and also wrote Snoop's name in Arabic on the car appearing in the video.
Hosny performed "Right Where I'm Supposed to Be" as the Official Song of the 2019 Special Olympics World Summer Games in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates in collaboration with Ryan Tedder, Avril Lavigne, Luis Fonsi, Hussain Al Jassmi and Assala Nasri openly presented by public figure Hilal Al-Battashi.
Stage and live performances
Because of Hosny's famous charismatic stage presence and creativity, his fans now call him "King of the stage". In an interview with Sherihan Abu Al Hassan on her program Set El Hosn, Hosny said that he doesn't pay much attention to the titles given to him by the fans like "King of generation" although he does appreciate the "King of the stage" title due to his efforts to improve the stage appearance in Egypt. "I'm no king, I'm not a fan of titles at all, I only appreciate the fact that my efforts to improve Egypt's stage appearance are acknowledged by the fans" he said, "My favorite title is just being called an Egyptian Arab artist when performing abroad."
Hosny married Star Academy contestant and Moroccan singer Bassma Boussel in 2012. They have two daughters and a son: Talyia, Amaya and Adam.
|2004||Hob||Free Music "Nasr Mahrous"|
|2006||Enayyah Bethebbak||Free Music "Nasr Mahrous"|
|2007||Ya Bint El Aih||Free Music "Nasr Mahrous"|
|2007||El Gana Fi Byotna||Free Music "Nasr Mahrous"|
|2008||Arrab Kaman||Free Music "Nasr Mahrous"|
|2011||Elly Gai Ahla||Mazzika|
|2013||Bahebak Enta||Free Music "Nasr Mahrous"|
|2018||Eish Besho'ak||Tamer Hosny Production|
In addition to:
- Free Mix 2000 (2000)
- Free Mix 3 (2002)
- Free Mix 4 (2005)
- Labourdette, Jean-Paul; Auzias, Dominique (2007). Égypte (in French). Petit Futé. p. 119. ISBN 2-7469-1972-9.
- Kennedy, Helen (9 February 2011). "Tamer Hosny, Egypt's answer to Justin Timberlake, attacked by demonstrators in Cairo's Tahrir Square". Daily News. New York. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Egyptian star Tamer Hosny breaks Guinness World Record in Abu Dhabi". Arab News. 7 December 2019.
- "Tamer Hosny International Official Website – Biography". Tamerhosny.com. Archived from the original on 8 March 2016. Retrieved 24 March 2011.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "تامر حسني: أخرجت كليب (صحيت علي صوتها) لأظهر بشكلي الحقيقي" (in Arabic). Masrawy.com. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- "Halet Hob Movie Msn Shofha". shofha.com. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "13 Arab stars who got arrested". stepfeed. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- ON Ent (4 October 2016). "ست الحسن – النجم تامر حسني يتحدث عن فيلمه الجديد". Retrieved 25 January 2018 – via YouTube.
- "ايرادات فيلم اهواك – اليوم السابع". اليوم السابع – Youm7. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- ""فالكون فيلمز": "تصبح على خير" الأول عربيا..ومصادر: الإيرادات ٦٠ مليون". elwatannews.com. 28 June 2017. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- ""فالكون فيلمز": "تصبح على خير" يتربع على عرش الإيرادات عربيًا". elcinema.com. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "Tamer Husni celebrates release of new album". Al Bawaba. 1 July 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Tamer Husni races with time". Al Bawaba. 25 September 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "كريم محسن يصدر ألبومه الغنائي الأول بمساندة تامر حسني" [Karim Mohsen releases album with the support of Tamer Hosny] (in Arabic). Masrawy.com. 16 December 2012. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- "Tamer Hosny Feat Shaggy" [Tamer Hosny Feat Shaggy]. jetset magazine. 25 October 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2011.
- Tamer Hosny (3 October 2013), Si Al Sayed – Tamer Hosny ft Snoop Dogg /كليب سي السيد – تامر حسني و سنوب دوج, retrieved 11 August 2017
- "Right Where I'm Supposed to Be – Single by Ryan Tedder". Apple.
- ON Ent (4 October 2016). "ست الحسن – النجم تامر حسني : بذلت مجهود لمدة 7 سنوات لتغيير شكل المسرح العربي حقيقة لا يمكن إغفالها". Retrieved 25 January 2018 – via YouTube.
- "Tamer Hosny". Pepsi Arabia. 16 August 1977. Archived from the original on 6 October 2011. Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- "Home". Police Tamer Hosny. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- ElKholy, Lamiaa (5 August 2017). "Egyptian singer Tamer Hosny to receive historic hand and foot print in LA". Al Arabiya English. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- Khalaf, Rayana (10 August 2017). "Tamer Hosny becomes the first-ever Arab to get this Hollywood honor". StepFeed. Retrieved 25 January 2018.