Kalaikkalanjiam (Tamil: Encyclopedia) is a universal encyclopedia in Tamil, published by Tamil Development Academy, Chennai. It was a project funded by Union Government of India, State Government of then Madras Presidency and many Tamil well wishers. Tamil Development Academy announced its intent to produce this encyclopedia on the day of Indian Independence 15 August 1947. The works started in the academy's Madras University Campus on 20 October 1947. The chief editor of this effort was Periyasaamy Thooran.
The first volume was released in 1954 and the tenth and final volume was released in 1968.
- Volume 1 - 1954 - 742 pages
- Volume 2 - 1955 - 760 pages
- Volume 3 - 1956 - 756 pages
- Volume 4 - 1956 - 778 pages
- Volume 5 - 1958 - 750 pages
- Volume 6 - 1959 - 770 pages
- Volume 7 - 1960 - 754 pages
- Volume 8 - 1961 - 758 pages
- Volume 9 - 1963 - 751 pages
- Volume 10 - 1968 - 560 pages
Following groups were involved in producing these volumes:
- Executive groups 5, Total members 74
- Content groups 21, Total members 132
- Research groups 27, Total members 66
- Glossary group 1, Total members 40
In total, 2240 scholars have contributed to various articles in these 10 volumes.
A second revised edition for this encyclopedia was planned with 12 volumes of 1000 pages each. But, the plan didn't materialize due to various reasons.
The entire Kalaikkalanjiam is available online at the Tamil Virtual Academy website.
In 2014, Tamil Development Academy donated all 10 volumes under Creative Commons Share-Alike 3.0 license based on Tamil Wikipedia contributors' request. Along with this, 10 volumes of Kuzhandhaigal Kalaikkalanjiam was also released under Creative Commons license.
- "Encyclopedia project page in Tamil Development Academy". Tamilvk.org. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tamil Encyclopedia.|