Tamil Heritage Foundation
Tamil Palm Leaf Manuscript
|Type||Facilitate Digital library collection|
|Purpose||Collect, preserve and digitize documents of Tamil cultural heritage including Tamil literature|
|Dr. Narayanan Kannan|
|Website||Tamil Heritage Foundation|
THF Executive Council
Tamil Heritage Foundation (THF) is a non-profit organization that collaborates with the British Library to collect, preserve and digitize documents of Tamil cultural heritage. Among activities around the world, the project activities are centered primarily in India, United Kingdom, Germany, Switzerland and South Korea.
The purpose of the global effort is to make available hundreds of works, more than 100 years old, that had been collected during British colonial rule of the Tamil speaking people through online access to the digitized documents. Its motto is "to serve Tamil and Tamilians across the world". The project allows the modern reader to tap into ancient wisdom about the scientific fields of astronomy, mathematics, medicine, chemistry, and engineering. Cultural life is told in manuscripts about the arts, music and literature.
The limited collection of ancient, rare books and palm-leaf manuscripts are digitally available on the internet or on CD-ROM to the public free of charge. The categories of works include art, language, history and the sciences. Then, the project will be expanded to include several thousand Tamil books. The director of the project is Dr. Narayanan Kannan who was a founding member, in addition to Dr. Kuppusamy Kalyanasundaram and Ms. Subashini Kanagasundaram, who are located in South Korea, Switzerland and Germany, respectively.
- Tamil Heritage Foundation THF website. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- British Library Tamil Collection. Tamil Heritage Foundation. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- Interview: Digitalizing heritage for the coming generation. Bhasha India. Microsoft. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- Kesavapany, A. Mani, Palanisamy Ramasamy. (2008). Rising India and indian communities in East Asia. Singapore: ISEAS Publishing. PR 20. ISBN 978-981-230-799-6.
- பிரித்தானிய British Library Project தமிழ் நூற்சேகரம்!
- Digital Library of India, Tamil Heritage Foundation
- Tamil - Language and Culture, O Book (UyirppU), Tamil Heritage Foundation
- Dr. N. Kannan, President of THF, Tamil contributions
- THF Executive Committee
- An introduction to Tamil Heritage Foundation