Type of site
|Registration||Open read access.|
No registration needed for general editing, but necessary for certain tasks including
|Users||196,339+ (as of October 2021)|
|Creative Commons Attribution/|
Share-Alike 3.0 (most text also dual-licensed under GFDL)
Media licensing varies
The Tamil Wikipedia (Tamil: தமிழ் விக்கிப்பீடியா) is the Tamil language edition of Wikipedia, run by the Wikimedia Foundation. It was established in September 2003 and crossed 141,000 articles in September 2021. As of 1 October 2020, the Tamil Wikipedia is the 58th largest Wikipedia and the second largest Wikipedia among Indian languages by article count. It is also the first and only Wikipedia of Dravidian origin to possess more than 100,000 articles(as of 2021). The project is one of the leading Wikipedia among other South Asian language Wikipedia's in various quality matrices. It has more than 141,000 articles and 196,339 registered users as of October 2021[update]. It crossed 100,000 articles in May 2017.
Contrary to common academic criticism of Wikipedia in the Western countries, the Tamil Wikipedia is widely regarded as an important source of information in the Tamil language on the Internet. The encyclopedia undergoes far less vandalism compared to larger Wikipedia projects, largely because the project has slower growth, mainly due to the lack of computers or Internet service in rural areas of Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka. Most of the project's development comes from the overseas Tamil diaspora.
In April 2010, the Tamil Internet Conference held a contest for college students across the state of Tamil Nadu, India for increasing content on the Tamil Wikipedia. The contest was made with regards to the World Classical Tamil Conference 2010, a meeting of Tamil scholars across the world who discuss modern development of the language. With over 2000 contestants enrolled, the contest concluded with the creation of 1,200 new academically reviewed articles on the Tamil Wikipedia in various subjects.
In September 2013, the Tamil Wikipedia celebrated its 10th anniversary.
Users and editors
|Number of user accounts||Number of articles||Number of files||Number of administrators|
- Sinhala Wikipedia
- Bengali Wikipedia
- Malayalam Wikipedia
- Telugu Wikipedia
- Kannada Wikipedia
- Marathi Wikipedia
- Hindi Wikipedia
- Frederick, Prince (May 21, 2009). "The Tamil Wiki…six years on". The Hindu. Chennai, India. Archived from the original on May 28, 2009. Retrieved May 26, 2009.
- "List of Wikipedias". meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- of Wikipedias
- Tamil Wikipedia 1000 Articles CD Project Proposal – Version 1.0 : MAYU’s Personal Blog Archived 2010-12-06 at the Wayback Machine
- The Photologue of the Tamil Wikipedia Academy | kiruba.com
- "Move for more Tamil content in Wikipedia". The Hindu. Chennai, India. April 1, 2010. Archived from the original on April 11, 2010.
- Madhavan, Karthik (15 June 2010). "1,200 articles selected to Tamil Wikipedia upload". The Hindu. Chennai, India.
- Subramaniam, Karhtik (28 September 2013). "Tamil Wikipedia to celebrate 10 years". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 November 2013.
|Tamil edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tamil Wikipedia.|