|• Total||1,084.30 km2 (418.65 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,300/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
Purba Medinipur district is divided into the following administrative subdivisions:
|Purba Medinipur district||Tamluk||4,713.00||5,095,875||91.71||8.29|
Tamluk subdivision has 6 police stations, 7 community development blocks, 7 panchayat samitis, 82 gram panchayats, 852 mouzas, 805 (+ 1 partly) inhabited villages, 2 municipalities and 11 census towns. The municipalities are: Tamluk and Panskura. The census towns are: Anantapur, Dakshin Baguan, Kakdihi, Shantipur, Kolaghat, Amalhara, Mihitikri, Kharisha, Goasafat, Kotbar and Erashal. The subdivision has its headquarters at Tamluk.
Tamluk subdivision has an area of 1084.30 km2, population in 2011 of 1,791,695 and density of population of 1,652 per km2. 35.16% 0f the population of the district resides in this subdivision.
Police stations in Tamluk subdivision have the following features and jurisdiction:
|Police Station||Area covered
|Inter-state border||Municipal Town||CD Block|
|Kolaghat||?||-||-||Sahid Matangini, Kolaghat|
*The data for area is as per the website of Purba Medinipur Police, but it appears that it has not been updated for a long time.
|SC %||ST %||Literacy
- Nandakumar block: Byabattarhat Paschim, Bargodagodar, Kalyanpur, Seoraberia Jalpai–I, Basudevpur, Kumarara, Seoraberia Jalpai–II, Byabattarhat Purba, Chakshimulia, Kumarchak, Shitalpur Paschim and Dakshin Narikelda.
- Moyna block: Bakcha, Mayna–I, Naichanpur–II, Srikantha, Mayna–II, Paramanandapur, Tilkhoja, Gozina, Naichanpir–I and Ramchak.
- Tamluk block: Anantapur–I, Bishnubarh–II, Padumpur–II, Sreerampur–I, Anantapur–II, Nilkunthia, Pipulberia–I, Sreerampur–II, Bishnubarh–I, Padumpur–I, Pipulberia–II, Uttar Sonamui.
- Sahid Matangini block: Balluk–I, Kakharda, Raghunathpur–I, Shantipur–II, Balluk–II[kakatiya bazar], Kharui–I, Raghunathpur–II, Dhalhara, Kharui–II and Shantipur–I.
- Panskura block: Chaitanyapur–I, Haur, Panskura–I, Radhaballavchak, Chaitanyapur–II, Keshapat, Pratappur–I, Raghunathbari, Ghoshpur, Khandakhola, Pratappur–II, Gobindanagar, Mysora and Purusottampur.
- Kolaghat block: Amalhanda, Deriachak, Kola–II, Sidhha–II, Baishnabchak, Gopalnagar, Pulshita, Bhogpur, Khanyadihi, Sagarbarh, Brindabanchak, Kola–I and Siddha–I.
- Chandipur block: Brajalalchak, Chaukhali, Jalpai, Osmanpur, Brindabanpur–I, Dibakarpur, Kulbari, Brindabanpur–II, Iswarpur and Nandapur Baraghuni.
With a literacy rate of 87.66% Purba Medinipur district ranked first amongst all districts of West Bengal in literacy as per the provisional figures of the census of India 2011. Within Purba Medinipur district, Tamluk subdivision had a literacy rate of 85.98%, Haldia subdivision 86.67%, Egra subdivision 86.18% and Contai subdivision 89.19%. All CD Blocks and municipalities in the district had literacy levels above 80%.
Given in the table below (data in numbers) is a comprehensive picture of the education scenario in Purba Medinipur district for the year 2013-14.
|Purba Medinipur district||3,253||219,794||293||32,965||261||159,032||397||466,093||19||44,241||45||10,759||7,974||375,042|
Note: Primary schools include junior basic schools; middle schools, high schools and higher secondary schools include madrasahs; technical schools include junior technical schools, junior government polytechnics, industrial technical institutes, industrial training centres, nursing training institutes etc.; technical and professional colleges include engineering colleges, polytechnics, medical colleges, para-medical institutes, management colleges, teachers training and nursing training colleges, law colleges, art colleges, music colleges etc. Special and non-formal education centres include sishu siksha kendras, madhyamik siksha kendras, centres of Rabindra mukta vidyalaya, recognised Sanskrit tols, institutions for the blind and other handicapped persons, Anganwadi centres, reformatory schools etc.
The following institutions are located in Tamluk subdivision:
- Tamralipta Mahavidyalaya was established at Tamluk in 1948. It is affiliated with Vidyasagar University. It offers courses in arts, science, commerce and education.
- College of Engineering and Management, Kolaghat, was established in 1998, in the township of Kolaghat Thermal Power Station. It is affiliated with Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology.
- Rabindra Bharati Mahavidyalaya was established at Kolaghat in 2010. It is affiliated with Vidyasagar University.
- Panskura Banamali College was established at Panskura in 1960. It is affiliated with Vidyasagar University. It offers undergraduate and post graduate courses.
- Moyna College was established 1972 at Moyna. It is affiliated with Vidyasagar University.
- Maharaja Nandakumar Mahavidyalaya was established at Bhabanipur in 2007. It is affiliated with Vidyasagar University.
- Siddhinath Mahavidyalaya, a government degree college, was established at Shyamsundarpur Patna in 2013.
The table below (all data in numbers) presents an overview of the medical facilities available and patients treated in the hospitals, health centres and sub-centres in 2014 in Purba Medinipur district.
|Subdivision||Health & Family Welfare Deptt, WB||Other
|Purba Medinipur district||5||3||22||51||-||-||-||132||213||3,486||293||172,251||3,319,411|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Vidhan Sabha constituency||Reservation||CD Block and/or Gram panchayats|
|Ghatal||Panskura Paschim||None||Panskura CD Block|
|Other assembly segments in Paschim Medinipur district|
|Tamluk||Tamluk||None||Tamluk municipality, Bishnubarh II, Pipulberia I, Pipulberia II and Uttar Sonamui gram panchayats of Tamluk CD Block, and Sahid Matangini CD Block|
|Panskura Purba||None||Kolaghat CD Block|
|Moyna||None||Moyna CD Block, Anantapur I, Anantapur II, Nilkunthia, Sreerampur I and Sreerampur II GPs of Tamluk CD Block|
|Nandakumar||None||Nandakumar CD Block and Bishnubarh I, Padumpur I and Padumpur II GPs of Tamluk CD Block|
|Mahisadal||None||Mahisadal and Haldia CD Blocks|
|Haldia||SC||Haldia municipality and Sutahata CD Block|
|Nandigram||None||Nandigram I and Nandigram II CD Blocks|
|Kanthi||Chandipur||None||Chandipur CD Block and Benodia, Bivisanpur, Gurgram, Kakra, Mahammadpur I and Mahammadpur II GPs of Bhagabanpur I CD Block|
|Paashpur||None||Patashpur I CD Block; Khargram, Panchet, Pataspur, South Khanda and Sreerampur gram panchayats of Patashpur II CD Block|
|Kanthi Uttar||None||Deshapran CD Block, Brajachauli, Debendra, Kanaidighi, Kumirda, Lauda and Marishda GPs of Contai III CD Block and Bathuari GP of Egra II CD Block|
|Bhagabanpur||None||Bhagabanpur, Kajlagarh, Kotbarh and Shimulia GPs of Bhagabanpur I CD Block, Arjunnagar, Basudevberia, Baroj, Itaberia, Jukhia, Mugberia and Radhapur GPs of Bhagabanpur II CD Block, and Argoyal and Mathura GPs of Patashpur II CD Block|
|Khejuri||SC||Khejuri I and Khejuri II CD Blocks, and Garbari I and Garbari II GPs of Bhagabanpur II CD Block|
|Kanthi Dakshin||None||Contai municipality, Contai I CD Block, and Durmuth and Kusumpur GPs of Contai III CD Block|
|Ramnagar||None||Ramnagar I and Ramnagar II CD Blocks|
Tamluk travel guide from Wikivoyage
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.2, 2.4(a). Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.1. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Directory of District, Sub division, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal, March 2008". West Bengal. National Informatics Centre, India. 2008-03-19. Archived from the original on February 25, 2009. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Tables 2.1, 2.2,. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Directory of District, Subdivision, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal". Paschim Medinipur - Revised in March 2008. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Provisional Population Totals Paper 1 of 2011 : West Bengal". Statement-4 Ranking of Districts by Literacy Rate in 2001 and 2011. Office of the Registrar General and & Census Commissioner, India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Basic data: Table 4.4, 4.5, Clarifications: other related tables. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Tamralipta Mahaviyalaya". TM. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "College of Engineering and Manahement, Kolaghat". CEM kolaghat. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Rabindra Bharati Mahavidyalaya". RBM. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Pnaskura Banamali College". PBC. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Moyna College". MC. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Maharaja Nandakumar Mahaviyalaya". MNM. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "Siddhinath Mahavidyalaya". SM. Retrieved 30 March 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 3.1, 3.3. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). West Bengal. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 25 October 2016.