Tampa Bay Technical High School
|Tampa Bay Technical High School|
|6410 Orient Road
Tampa, Florida 33610
|Type||Public magnet high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red, navy blue, white
|Rival||King High School|
Tampa Bay Technical High School (TBT), in Florida, United States, was established in 1969 as Tampa Bay Vocational Technical School. It is a public comprehensive magnet high school for grades 9-12, with an enrollment of 2029 students. The school mascot is the Titan.
Students apply for one of the three programs: Tampa Bay Technical High School Programs, Academy of Architecture & Environmental Design, or Academy of Health Professions. The school campus resembles a community college campus with laboratory facilities for technology programs. Transportation is provided by the Hillsborough County Public Schools through a bus transfer system.
Tampa Bay Tech HS is 50% Black, 26% Hispanic, 13% White, 5% Asian, 5% multiracial, and 1% other
- Auto Body Repair
- Automotive Repair
- Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Business Education
- Business Health Administration Academy
- Commercial Art Academy
- Computer Systems Technology
- Culinary Arts
- Diesel Technology
- Early Childhood Education
- Industrial Electricity
Academy of Health
The Health program teaches Cardiology, Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy, Veterinary Assistant, Medical Laboratory, Vision Specialist, Dental Aid, and Radiology.
Academy of Architecture
The Academy of Architecture has classes in two separate rooms, each a fully functioning lab. The students learn fundamental skills about the architecture field and practice computer-aided design as well as manual drafting. Students enter several contests throughout the year e.g. a local drafting and design competition at the Strawberry Festival, national drafting and design competitions with SkillsUSA, and the West Point Bridge Design Contest.
School of Business
Business certificates can be earned in fields such as Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, and Web Design. Tampa Bay Tech is active in FBLA, and attends the annual district, state and national competitions.
Clubs are plentiful in the school and some nationwide clubs include chapters at Tampa Bay Tech. Clubs are divided into Career, Service, Interest and Honors Clubs.
- HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America)
- National FFA Organization (formerly known as Future Farmers of America)
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America)
- FSPA (The Florida Scholastic Press Association)
- VICA (Vocational Industrial Clubs of America)
The Advanced Placement Program, is a United States and Canada-based program that offers high school students the opportunity to receive university credit for their work during high school, as well as a standard measure of achievement in a particular course.
- Paul Ray Smith - Iraq war hero, and Medal of Honor recipient
- Ted Washington - National Football League player of 17 seasons, four time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl winner with the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVIII
- Brian Blair - member of the Killer Bees (professional wrestling) and local politician.
- Kevin Hobbs- ex-NFL player.
- Maritza Correia- swimmer, Silver medalist in the 2004 Olympic Games
- Michelle Phan - makeup artist
- "Hillsborough County high school graduation ceremonies". tbo.com. Tampa Bay Tribune. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- 2011-2012 Florida High School Grades | StateImpact Florida
- "SERGEANT FIRST CLASS PAUL RAY SMITH". United States Army. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Blair released from jail on child abuse charges". Tampa Tribune. 21 June 2009.
- "Maritza Correia". Biography.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Michelle Phan, a YouTube sensation for her makeup tutorials, has transformed her life". Tampa Bay Times. 22 August 2009.