Tampa Bay Technical High School
|Tampa Bay Technical High School|
6410 Orient Road|
Tampa, Florida 33610
|Type||Public magnet high school|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
Red, navy blue, white|
|Rival||King High School, Armwood High School|
Tampa Bay Technical High School (TBT) is a public comprehensive magnet high school for grades 9-12 in Florida, United States. It was established in 1969 as Tampa Bay Vocational Technical School. The school mascot is the Titan.
Students apply for one of three programs: Tampa Bay Technical High School Programs, Academy of Architecture & Environmental Design, or Academy of Health Professions. The school campus resembles a community college campus with laboratory facilities for technology programs. Transportation is provided by the Hillsborough County Public Schools through a bus transfer system.
Tampa Bay Tech HS is 49% Black, 26% Hispanic, 13% White, 5% Asian, 5% multiracial, and 2% other
In 2015–2016 Tampa Bay Technical High School had a graduation rate of 95%, and 75% of students were enrolled in Advanced Placement courses, with 41% passing. Dual enrollment courses are available through Hillsborough Community College.
The school offers the following programs:
- Auto Body Repair
- Automotive Repair
- Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Business Education
- Business Health Administration Academy
- Commercial Art Academy
- Computer Systems Technology
- Culinary Arts
- Diesel Technology
- Early Childhood Education
- Industrial Electricity
Academy of Health
The Health program teaches Cardiology, Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy, Veterinary Assistant, Medical Laboratory, Vision Specialist, Dental Aid, and Radiology.
Academy of Architecture
The Academy of Architecture has classes in two separate rooms, each a fully functioning lab. The students learn fundamental skills about the architecture field and practice computer-aided design as well as manual drafting. Students enter contests throughout the year, including a local drafting and design competition at the Strawberry Festival, national drafting and design competitions with SkillsUSA, and the West Point Bridge Design Contest.
Clubs are plentiful in the school and some nationwide clubs include chapters at Tampa Bay Tech. Clubs are divided into Career, Service, Interest and Honors Clubs.
- HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America)
- National FFA Organization (formerly known as Future Farmers of America)
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America)
- FSPA (The Florida Scholastic Press Association)
- CAA (Commercial Arts Academy)
- Paul Ray Smith - Iraq war hero and Medal of Honor recipient
- Ted Washington - National Football League player
- Brian Blair - professional wrestler and local politician.
- Kevin Hobbs - former NFL player
- Maritza Correia - swimmer, silver medalist in the 2004 Olympic Games
- Michelle Phan - makeup artist
- "TAMPA BAY TECH HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- "Hillsborough County high school graduation ceremonies". tbo.com. Tampa Bay Tribune. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Tampa Bay Tech High School". US News & World Report Education. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- Hillsborough Community College dual enrollment course list
- "SERGEANT FIRST CLASS PAUL RAY SMITH". United States Army. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- Patton, John (December 5, 2007). "FHSAA's top 100 Florida players". Gainesville Sun.
- "Blair released from jail on child abuse charges". Tampa Tribune. 21 June 2009.
- "49 Kevin Hobbs". Auburn University. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Maritza Correia". Biography.com. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Michelle Phan, a YouTube sensation for her makeup tutorials, has transformed her life". Tampa Bay Times. 22 August 2009.