This article does not cite any sources. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Founded in 1994
|Minor league affiliations|
|League||Florida State League (1994–present)|
|Major league affiliations|
|Current||New York Yankees (1994–present)|
|Minor league titles|
|League titles (5)||
**Co-championss with Daytona Cubs
|Division titles (6)||
|Nickname||Tampa Yankees (1994–present)|
|Ballpark||George M. Steinbrenner Field (1996–present)|
|New York Yankees|
The Tampa Yankees are a minor league baseball team based in Tampa, Florida. They are currently members of the Florida State League and are the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the New York Yankees Major League Baseball team. Home games are played at George M. Steinbrenner Field, a miniature replica of the old Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.
The team was established in 1994. In 1996 they moved to the new George M. Steinbrenner Field, the New York Yankees' spring training facility. Since their inception they have won five league championships, in 1994, 2001, 2004, 2009, and 2010.
The team was founded in 1994. The city of Tampa had been without a professional baseball team since 1988, when the Tampa Tarpons were sold and relocated. The Tampa Yankees joined the Florida State League, and have been the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the New York Yankees since their inception.
Notable major league players to once play for the Tampa Yankees are Derek Jeter, Rubén Rivera, Mariano Rivera, David Robertson, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, Ramiro Mendoza, Tim Raines, Eric Milton, and Luis Sojo.
George M. Steinbrenner Field
George M. Steinbrenner Field, originally Legends Field, opened in 1996. It also serves as the spring training stadium for the New York Yankees. It seats 10,000 fans, and sits adjacent to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' football facility, Raymond James Stadium. It was renamed after late Yankees owner George M. Steinbrenner in 2008.
- 2016: Lost to Bradenton 3-1 in the FSL finals.
- 2010: Defeated Dunedin 2-0 in semifinals; defeated Charlotte 3-1 to win championship.
- 2009: Defeated Brevard County 2-0 in semifinals; defeated Charlotte 3-2 to win championship.
- 2004: Defeated Dunedin 2-0 in semifinals; declared co-champions with Daytona.
- 2002: Lost to Charlotte 2-0 in semifinals.
- 2001: Defeated Charlotte 2-0 in semifinals; declared co-champions with Brevard County.
- 1998: Defeated Charlotte 2-0 in semifinals; lost to St. Lucie 3-2 in finals.
- 1996: Lost to Clearwater 2-0 in semifinals.
- 1995: Lost to Fort Myers 2-1 in semifinals.
- 1994: Defeated Sarasota 2-1 in semifinals; defeated Brevard County 3-1 to win championship.
Tampa Yankees roster
7-day disabled list
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tampa Yankees.|
|This article about a baseball team in Florida is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|