Tampilisan, Zamboanga del Norte
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Municipality of Tampilisan|
Map of Zamboanga del Norte with Tampilisan highlighted
|Region||Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX)|
|Province||Zamboanga del Norte|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Angeles R. Carloto II|
|• Electorate||14,655 voters (2016)|
|• Total||137.75 km2 (53.19 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||180/km2 (460/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)65|
|Climate type||tropical climate|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
Tampilisan, officially the Municipality of Tampilisan, is a 4th class municipality in the province of Zamboanga del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 24,307 people.
It is located in Zamboanga peninsula along the boundary with Zamboanga Sibugay, traversed by the national highway to Zamboanga City. The municipality is 152 kilometres (94 mi) from Dipolog City, the capital of the province.
Tampilisan is politically subdivided into 20 barangays.
- New Barili
- New Dapitan
- Poblacion (Tampilisan)
- Sto. Niño
The name Tampilisan originated from a tree called "Tampilis". This tree is about one (1) to three (3) meters in height, belongs to the palm family. Its sturdy part when split was used by the natives, Subanen, as a substitute for betel nuts. Since this tree were abundant in the area, the place thus called by the native as "Tampilisan".
The municipality was originally a barangay of the Municipality of Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte. In the early part of 1978, because of the concentration of population and potentials of the area and through consultation of the local leaders, Assemblyman Guardson Lood filed a bill in the Interim Batasang Pambansa, Batas Pambansa Bilang 14 an "Act Creating the Municipality of Tampilisan".
The newly created municipality originally comprised seven barangays: Poblacion, Cabong, Galingon, Situbo, Lawaan, Molos, and New Dapitan, with the Poblacion as the seat of the municipal government. Today, the Municipality of Tampilisan has grown to twenty barangays: the seven preceding barangays plus thirteen more barangays: Sandayong, Tilubog, Tininggaan, Tubod, Balacbaan, Banbanan, ZNAC, Camul, New Barili, Sto. Niño, Farmington, Lumbayao, and Malila T.
The first appointed and elected mayor was Cesar A. Bomediano, a former SB Member of the Municipality of Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte.
|Population census of Tampilisan|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Zamboanga del Norte". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region IX (Zamboanga Peninsula)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region IX (Zamboanga Peninsula)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903 – 2007). "Region IX (Zamboanga Peninsula)". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Zamboanga del Norte". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.