Borough of Tamworth
|Borough of Tamworth|
|Borough and Non-metropolitan district|
Tamworth Borough Council
Tamworth shown within Staffordshire
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Incorporated||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district council|
|• Body||Tamworth Borough Council|
|• Leadership||Leader & Cabinet (Conservative)|
|• MPs||Christopher Pincher|
|• Total||11.91 sq mi (30.85 km2)|
|Area rank||308th (of 326)|
|Population (mid-2016 est.)|
|• Rank||296th (of 326)|
|• Density||6,500/sq mi (2,500/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||96.5% White British
|Time zone||GMT (UTC0)|
|• Summer (DST)||BST (UTC+1)|
|ONS code||41UC (ONS)
|OS grid reference|
The borough is completely unparished.
The borough council has been Conservative-controlled since 2004, but was Labour-controlled since the early 1980s. At the last election, May 2016, the Conservative Party held the borough. The council is now made up of with 20 Conservative councillors, 7 Labour Councillors and 3 UKIP councillors. The Mayor for 2015/16 is Cllr Ken Norci (Labour).
Since 2011, Tamworth has formed part of the Greater Birmingham & Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership along with neighbouring authorities Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Cannock Chase, East Staffordshire, Lichfield, Redditch, Solihull and Wyre Forest. Tamworth is also a non-constituent member of the West Midlands Combined Authority.
Tamworth Council elects by thirds. Meaning there is an election of 1 councillor for each of the 10 wards over a three-year period. The fourth year see elections to Staffordshire County Council. Councillors are elected for a four-year term.
- "Tamworth Historic Election Results" (PDF).
- "Elections 2016 | Tamworth Borough Council". www.tamworth.gov.uk. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Mayor | Tamworth Borough Council". www.tamworth.gov.uk. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "West Midlands Combined Authority - Who's included?". westmidlandscombinedauthority.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Election news | Tamworth Borough Council". www.tamworth.gov.uk. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Committee structure". 2016-11-17. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Committee details - Cabinet". 2016-11-17. Retrieved 2016-11-17.