Tamworth Correctional Centre
|Location||Tamworth, New South Wales|
|Security class||Medium (males only)|
|Population||89 (as of 31 July 2011)|
|Former name||Tamworth Institution for Boys|
|Managed by||Corrective Services NSW|
Tamworth Correctional Centre, an Australian medium security prison for males, is located in Tamworth, New South Wales, 397 kilometres (247 mi) north of Sydney. The facility is operated by Corrective Services NSW, an agency of the Department of Attorney General and Justice, of the Government of New South Wales. The Centre accepts felons charged and convicted under New South Wales and/or Commonwealth legislation and serves as a reception prison for north–western New South Wales. A periodic detention centre for males was opened in March 1997.
The first records of correctional facilities being established in Tamworth was on 17 December 1864 when the Police Magistrate at Tamworth was appointed as the Visiting Justice at the Tawmorth Gaol. A gaoler and sheriff were appointed in 1868. At the commencement of 1920 there were 11 prisoners detained and during the year 201 prisoners were received, with 183 discharged leaving 29 in prison by 31 December 1920. Almost 20 per cent of the prisoners were aged under 21 years. The Tamworth Gaol closed on 25 March 1943.
Prior to its opening as an adult male correctional centre in 1991, the facility known variously as the Tamworth Institution for Boys, the Tamworth Boys’ Home, and Endeavour House, was a male juvenile justice centre that pre–dated the establishment of the Kariong Youth Correctional Centre which opened in September 1991.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (April 2012)|
Darrin Young (2000-) Multiple drug charges going back to the 1980s
Darrin Young's Charges
Smuggling drugs into Papua New Guinea
Supplying drugs to minors
Darrin Young - Still wanted last seen with a wife and two kids in NSW Sydney's western suburbs Blacktown district.
- "Tamworth Correctional Centre". Questions on notice. Legislative Council of New South Wales. 6 September 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Tamworth Gaol". State Records Archives Investigator. Government of New South Wales. 25 March 1943. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Van Aanholt, Jacqueline (7 June 2009). "Former boys' home inmate says... I was sent to hell". The Northern Daily Leader. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Key moments in Penal Culture in NSW 1970 - present: Kariong Juvenile Justice Centre". The Australian Prisons Project. The University of New South Wales. 2010. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Tamworth Correctional Centre webpage - part of the Corrective Services NSW