Tandridge District Council election, 2012
The 2012 Tandridge District Council election took place on 3 May 2012 to elect members of Tandridge District Council in Surrey, England. One third of the council was up for election and the Conservative party stayed in overall control of the council.
After the election, the composition of the council was
14 seats were contested in 2012, with a total of 49 candidates standing for election. Before the election the Conservatives ran the council with 34 of the 42 seats, while the Liberal Democrats had 6 seats. Other parties standing at the election were the UK Independence Party with 13 candidates, the Labour party with 6 candidates and 3 candidates from the Green party.
The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats finished with the same number seats, after each party gained a seat from the other. Also in council composition new candidates from the same parties as those councillors standing down and two incumbent local independent councillors were elected. A local conservative gained Whyteleafe from a local Liberal Democrat by 81 votes. Local Liberal Democrats held 3 seats and their seat gain from a Conservative was by 99 votes in Warlingham East, Chelsham and Farleigh in the north-east corner of Tandridge and separated only by West Warlingham from Whyteleafe. Here Jeremy Pursehouse resurrected his old seat lost at the 2008 election.
In runner up results, UKIP candidates came second in three wards and Labour in one ward. The other second places were taken by the two largest parties in this district, which were those parties in government at the time of the election. Overall turnout at the election was 34.53%.
|Tandridge local election result 2012|
|Party||Seats||Gains||Losses||Net gain/loss||Seats %||Votes %||Votes||+/−|
|Bletchingley and Nutfield|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Fowler||262||19.3||+7.5|
|Burstow, Horne and Outwood|
|Liberal Democrat||Alun Jones||211||20.9||-2.2|
|Oxted North and Tandridge|
|Liberal Democrat||Stuart Paterson||270||16.4||-12.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Wingate||115||6.6||-4.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Hilary Turner||565||52.3||+9.4|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||Bob Tomlin||472||40.2||-5.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Roberts||294||29.4||-10.3|
|Warlingham East, Chelsham and Farleigh|
|Liberal Democrat||Jeremy Pursehouse||707||45.0||+7.8|
|Liberal Democrat gain from Conservative||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||Wendy Pursehouse||218||23.1||-6.3|
|Liberal Democrat||David Gosling||496||55.2||+12.9|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||David Lee||376||39.7||-2.5|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||David Martin||82||13.3||+1.1|
By-elections between 2012 and 2014
A by-election was held in Burstow, Horne and Outwood on 2 May 2013 after the resignation of Conservative councillor Michael Keenan over the introduction of same-sex marriage. The seat was held for the Conservatives by Christopher Byrne with a majority of 151 votes over the UK Independence Party candidate Graham Bailey.
|Burstow, Horne and Outwood by-election 2 May 2013|
|Liberal Democrat||Judy Wilkinson||188||13.1||+13.1|
- "Vote 2012". BBC News Online. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Haran, Brian; Davies, Michael (10 May 2012). "Pub landlord brings cheers as Tories stay in firm control". Tandridge Mirror (NewsBank).
- "No clues to council says survey". Caterham Mirror (NewsBank). 19 April 2012. p. 1.
- Brooks, Angela (1 May 2012). "Election: Voting on the horizon for Tandridge". Surrey Advertiser (NewsBank).
- Haran, Brian (12 April 2012). "Long-serving councillor set to step down". Tandridge Mirror (NewsBank).
- Brooks, Angela (4 May 2012). "Election: Seat swap for Tories and Lib Dems". Surrey Advertiser (NewsBank).
- "Tandridge council remains in Conservative control after election". Surrey Mirror. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "District election results 2012". Tandridge District Council. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Angell, Gemma (21 February 2013). "East Surrey Conservative chairman resigns over gay marriage bill". Surrey Mirror. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Voters to go to the polls in the Life area on May 2". Redhill Reigate Horley Life. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "County Council election results in Life area". This Is Local London. 7 May 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Burstow, Horne and Outwood". Tandridge District Council. Retrieved 8 March 2015.