May 16, 1965|
|Alma mater||Chalmers University of Technology (Ph.D.)|
Life and career
Born in 1965, Tammet had early access to the University of Tartu's computers through his father's work at the physics department. As a result, he eventually graduated the university's maths department in applied mathematics, specializing in information technology. He took interest in automated theorem proving and graduated the Gothenburg Chalmers University of Technology in with a Ph.D. in 1992. He lived in Sweden for the most part of that decade, then returned to Tallinn.
Tammet received international renown for his automated theorem proving program Gandalf, which won different categories of the CADE CASC competition six times between 1997 and 2003. He has been the Estonian delegate to the Information Systems Technology Panel of the NATO Research and Technology Organisation and written about cyber security. He often teaches or speaks about artificial intelligence and has asserted that it already exists, albeit in a primitive and distributed form.
From 2006, Tammet was a founding member and member of the board of the Estonian Greens. The party was elected into the Riigikogu the following year with 7.1% of the nationwide vote, which granted them six seats. In 2010, amid growing tensions following their failed runs in the European Parliament and local elections in 2009, Tammet along with 19 other members was thrown out of the party. It subsequently failed to reach the minimum 5% of the vote needed in the 2011 parliamentary elections and faded.
Tammet is a professor at the Tallinn University of Technology and is the faculty manager of its computer science institute. Previously he had helped found the Tallinn IT College and was on its board of advisors from its inception in 2003. Tammet has also worked in the Institute of Cybernetics in Tallinn. In 2012, he received attention for the creation of Sightsmap, a website which visualizes the popularity of places around the world based on data from Panoramio, Wikipedia and Foursquare.
- Tammet, Tanel; Teejuht võrgumaailma, Tartu : Ilmamaa, 1997. ISBN 9985821874
- Tamme, Tõnu; Tammet, Tanel; Prank, Rein; Loogika: Mõtlemisest tõestamiseni, Tartu : Tartu Ülikooli Kirjastus, 1997. ISBN 9985562313
- Raun, Alo (25 November 2006). "Rohelised üritavad esimeheta hakkama saada (The Greens will try to manage without a leader)". Postimees Online. Archived from the original on 13 February 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Person's information: Hannes Tammet". Estonian Research Portal. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Person's information: Tanel Tammet". Estonian Research Portal. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "The CADE ATP System Competition". CADE. University of Miami. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Tammet, Tanel (9 October 2011). "Küberkaitsjad korraga kahes ülikoolis (Cyber security in two universities at the same time)". Arvutimaailm. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Tammet, Tanel (30 November 2005). "Külm kübersõda (Cold cyberwar)". Eesti Päevaleht. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Internet ja tehismõistuse tekkimine". Tallinn University of Technology. Google Video. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Aasaru, Heikki (23 April 2012). "Tanel Tammet: tehisintellekt on juba olemas (Tanel Tammet: Artificial intelligence already exists)". ERR. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Silm, Sander (18 May 2010). [Roheliste sisesõda: eelmise juhatuse liikmed visati erakonnast välja "Roheliste sisesõda: eelmise juhatuse liikmed visati erakonnast välja (Internal war of the Greens: The members of the previous board were kicked out of the party)"] Check
|url=value (help). Õhtuleht. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Erakond Eestimaa Rohelised (Estonian Greens)". Eesti Erakondade Ajalugu (History of Estonian political parties). erakonnad.info.
- "Kontaktid (contacts)". Tallinn University of Technology. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Nõunike kogu (Board of advisors)". IT College. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Tanel Tammet peab loodushoidu vabaduseks (Tanel Tammet equates environmentalism with freedom)". Persoonid (people). Grüüne. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Zhang, Michael (23 January 2012). "Sightseeing Heatmap of Popular Photo Spots Around the World". PetaPixel. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Newman, Leigh (25 January 2012). "A Flash of Happiness". Life Lift. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "Bearers of Decorations". Estonian State Decorations. Office of the President of Estonia. Retrieved 16 May 2012.