Tanenbaum Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Anne & Max Tanenbaum Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto|
|Kimel Centre: 9600 Bathurst Street, Vaughan, Ontario
Wallenberg Campus: 200 Wilmington Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, M3H 5J8
|School type||Private high school|
|Head of School||Lee Buckman|
|Language||English, Hebrew, French|
|Colour(s)||Kimel Centre: Navy Blue, Baby Blue
Wallenberg Campus: Blue and White
|Team name||Kimel Centre: Cougars
Wallenberg Campus: Tigers
Established in 1960, The Anne & Max Tanenbaum Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto (Hebrew: האקדמיה העברית ע"ש טננבאום), or "TanenbaumCHAT", is a private Jewish high school which is located on two campuses in Toronto, Canada.
- TanenbaumCHAT Wallenberg Campus (known as TCW) is located at 200 Wilmington Ave. in Toronto operated out of the former Wilmington Public School facility owned by the Toronto District School Board, and serves students living south of Steeles Avenue. This campus opened in 1974, and was the only location available to students until 2000.
- TanenbaumCHAT Kimel Family Education Centre (known as TCK) is located at 9600 Bathurst Street in Vaughan, and serves students living north of Steeles Avenue. This campus opened in 2000, and existed at another location before moving to its current Bathurst Street location.
Jewish day schools that feed into TanenbaumCHAT include Associated Hebrew Schools, Bialik Hebrew Day School, The Toronto Heschel School, The Leo Baeck Day School, Robbins Hebrew Academy, and Netivot HaTorah Day School. TanenbaumCHAT offers a New Stream program for students who have come from the public school system or who did not otherwise previously attend a Jewish elementary school.
Due to relocations and monetary donations to the school, TanenbaumCHAT has undergone various changes to its official name. Regardless of these changes, it is often referred to by students and especially by alumni as "CHAT".
- The original name for the school was "Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto", or "CHAT."
- In September 2000, a second campus was opened in Richmond Hill, which was named "CHAT-RH" ("CHAT Richmond Hill.") It was intended to be a temporary location, and remained opened until June 2007.
- At the graduation ceremony in June 2006, it was announced that due to a major gift from the estate of Dr. Anne Tanenbaum, mother of Larry Tanenbaum, the school would be renamed the Anne & Max Tanenbaum Community Hebrew Academy of Toronto, or TanenbaumCHAT. In September of that year, it was announced that the Richmond Hill campus would be temporarily called "TanenbaumCHAT North" in preparation of a move to a new building in Vaughan, while the Toronto campus would be named "TanenbaumCHAT South."
- In September 2007, TanenbaumCHAT's north campus moved permanently onto the Lebovic Jewish Community Campus on Bathurst Street, and is now officially "TanenbaumCHAT Kimel Family Education Centre".
- In May 2008, another name change took place, specifically regarding the south campus, thanks to a major donation. After a school wide vote, the new name chosen for the Wilmington Avenue location was "TanenbaumCHAT Wallenberg Campus" (TCW), named after World War II era Swedish humanitarian, Raoul Wallenberg.