Entrance to Tangail
|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|Time zone||DST (UTC+6)|
Tangail (Bengali: টাঙ্গাইল, [ʈaŋgail]) is a town in the Tangail District, in the central region of Bangladesh. It is located on the banks of Louhajang River, and is part of the Dhaka Division. Tangail is famous worldwide for cham cham and hand-loom Tangail Sari.
Bajitpur Hat khola,Karotia hut
Before the Liberation War, some educational institutions were established by notable persons in Tangail. Among those schools are Bindu Basini Govt. Boys' High School (1880) and Bindubasini Government Girls' High School (1882) were established by Jamindar Shantosh according to his mother's name. In 1926, the Sa'dat Government University College, Korotia, was established by Wazed Ali Khan Panni, a zamindar and one of the most prominent educationalists of Tangail. M.M. Ali Government College was established by Maulana Vasani at Kagmari (About 5 km away from the main city). Kumudini College was established in 1943 by Ranada Prasad Saha, a philanthropist of Tangail. Later the college was converted into a Government College as the same name.
Currently, there are 5 government-run high schools in the city. Among those schools are the two Bindubasini Government schools (situated in the center of the town) as well as a Technical University
Tangail rebrands its name through Mawlana Bhashani Science and Technology University situated at Santosh near Tangail Town. It is mainly a government financed public university of Bangladesh.It is named after the charismatic, legendary political leader of the country Mawlana Bhashani. This University is the first of its kind among the public universities in Bangladesh.
Recently a Government Medical institution named Tangail Medical College was established which is situated at Sabalia-a newly populated area of Tangail Town.Tangail Shivnath High School is situated Near Dhaka Tangail Highways. It is also a historical school.it situated in 1907.1 No Bajitpur Government Primary School situated beside Tangail delduar Road.
Tangail now has a station with new broad gauge line of Bangladesh Railways which connects the western and eastern systems via the Bangabandhu Bridge. There is also a connecting road. Bus services are available from Mohakhali bus terminal such as Nirala super service, Jhatika paribahan, Dhalesswary and many more. ==
The Sweet known as Cham Cham originated from Porabari of Tangail. The sweet is very popular in the Indian subcontinent.
Nowadays the Sweet shops have been grown up in the heart of tangail town at shahid joglu road carrying the history of Porabari. "Gopal Mistanno Vander" and "Joykali Mistanno Vander" is the two most popular sweets shop in Tangail town. People whoever visits Tangail town always buy the sweets named Cham Cham for their Family Members and Relatives.
- Maulana Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani was a popular political leader in British India, Pakistan and later in Bangladesh and elected the first founder President of Bangladesh Awami League respectively. He (1880-1976) was a Muslim leader who used non-violent, mass civil disobedience techniques to promote nationalism in Assam, Bengal, and Bangladesh in the northeastern part of the Indian subcontinent.In 12 December 1880 Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani was born in Dhangara village in Sirajganj, then he studied at Kagmari School Tangail and lived the rest of life at Sontosh, Tangail. Died on 17 November, 1976 at Tangail, Bangladesh.
- Shamsul Hoque was elected founder General Secretary of Bangladesh Awami League which played a key role in Bengali nationalist movement in the 1950s and 1960s. Shamsul Hoque is the very first leader from a middle-class family who won the general election defeating the then famous and high profile Muslim league leader Khurrum Khan Panni(a local Zaminder) of Tangail that made a political storm through Pakistan. Bangladesh. He has played very important role during 1946 Indian Provincial Election in Bengal province. He is also a key figure of 1952 language movement.
- Abdul Mannan, Home and Health and Family Planning Minister of Bangladesh (1972-1975). He was one of the important organisers for Mujib Nagar Govt of 17 April 1971 at Meherpur. He was M.N.A in charge of Shadhin Bangla Betar Kendra. He was Presidium member of Bangladesh Awami League and worked as acting President of Bangladesh Awami League in absence of Party Chief Sheikh Hasina. He became M.P for the last time from Tangail-5 constituency in 1996 to 2001. He established and inaugurated Tangail Sadar Hospital with the help of a Swiss architect.He established Katoli High School, Atiya women's High School, Sheikh Fajilatunnessa women's High School, Tangail Science and technical University and many more. He had a dream to establish a Medical College in Tangail.
- Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary of the Muslim Council of Britain.
- Kader Siddique, known as "Tiger Siddique", incumbent MP and founder/leader of Kaderia Bahini, one of Mukti Bahini groups active in 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War.
- Nawab Ali Chowdhury, one of the members of the Nathan commission to establish Dhaka University.
- Justice Abu Sayed Chowdhury, former president, Bangladesh, Vice chancellor of Dhaka University.
- P. C. Sarkar, Famous magician.
- Ranadaprasad Saha, Famous philanthropist.
- Sabbir Ansary Riyadh, Founder of Azuretech Bangladesh
- Mawlana Bhashani University of Science and Technology Mawlana Bhashani University of Science and Technology
- "Profile: Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari". BBC NEWS - BBC. 2006-06-05. Retrieved 2008-12-06.