|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
|Upazila||Tangail Sadar Upazila|
|• First Mayor||Shashi Shekhar Dutt|
|• Present Mayor||Md.Jamilur Rahman Miron(Bangladesh Awami League)|
|• Total||35.22 km2 (13.60 sq mi)|
|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|• Density||5,302/km2 (13,730/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
Tangail (Bengali: টাঙ্গাইল, [ʈaŋgail]) is a city of Tangail District situated at the central region of Bangladesh 98 km north-west of Dhaka, the capital. It is located on the bank of Louhajang River.
The pourashava was established on 1 July, 1887. During its establishment the town was composed of only 5 wards.Those are-
- Ward no. 1-Tangail Kanda Para, Par Dighulia, Akur Takur Para.
- Ward no. 2-Korer Betka, Mirer Betka, Nondir Betka, Sabalia, Dorun, Ashekpur, Nagor Jalfai, Boali.
- Ward no. 3-Garai, Berai, Kazipur, Bachrakandi, Potol, Bajitpur, Berabuchna, Valluk kandi.
- Ward no. 4- Kagmari, Sontosh, Aloa, Boitta, Patuli, Ekrampur.
- Ward no. 5-Kalipur, Dighulia, Sakrail, Kaiyamara, Beradoma, Basha, Khanpur.
Afterwards, The pourashava was reshaped into 4 wards-Ward no 1 as 'Central', Ward no 2 as 'Betka', Ward no 3 as 'Dighulia', Ward no 4 as 'Santosh'. Again in 1988 it was subdivided into 6 wards- Ward no 1 as 'Central', Ward no 2 as 'Betka', Ward no. 3 as 'Dighulia', Ward no. 4 as 'Santosh', Ward no. 5 as 'Zila Sadar' and Ward no. 6 as 'Kazipur'. Then after some random decisions for few years, in 1999 The town was subdivided into 18 wards and gained its present shape.
Tangail city consists of 18 wards and 64 mahallas.
These 18 wards are composed of following areas/mahallas of the city-
- Ward no.1 (Akur Takur Para-north, Dewla, District hq)
- Ward no. 2 (Enayetpur)
- Ward no. 3 (West Akur Takur Para, North Kagmara, South Kagmara)
- Ward no. 4 (Bepari Para, Fakir Para, Bera Doma, Dighulia, Char Dighulia)
- Ward no. 5 (Kalipur, Lakshimpur, Sarutia, Shakrail)
- Ward no. 6 (College Para, Paradise Para, Par Dighulia-part)
- Ward no. 7 (Baluk Kandi, Bagbari, Patuli Bhabani Bagbari, Uttar Santosh-part, Santosh Palpara)
- Ward no. 8 (Aloa Bhabani Pahim, Aloa Pahim, Dakshin Santosh-part)
- Ward no. 9 (Aloa Baratia, Aloa Paikasta, Aloa Tarini, Baluk Kandi-part, Char Patuli, Purba Aloa, Aloa Bhabani)
- Ward no. 10 (Bajitpur, Berai, Basrakandi, Kazipur, Patal)
- Ward no. 11 (Berabuchna, Kachua Para,Kanda Para)
- Ward no. 12 (Adi Tangail, Bepari Para, Bil Para)
- Ward no. 13 (Tangail Mahalla,Chayanir Bazar, Pachanir Bazar, Thana Para, Uttar Thana Para)
- Ward no. 14 (Purba Adalat Para, Adalat Para, Biswas Betka-part S.W corn, Shaha Para)
- Ward no. 15 (Ashekpur, Biswas Betka-part)
- Ward no. 16 (Akur Takur Para-part, Par Dighulia-part)
- Ward no. 17 (Kumudini College Para, Munshi Para, Registry Para, Biswas Betka-west)
- Ward no. 18 (Kodalia, Sabalia)
It would take approximately 1 hour and 55 minutes to go Tangail from Dhaka city, via Kaliakair and Tongi. The distance is around 98 km. From Mohakhali (মহাখালী) bus terminal, several buses use to run for this district. Among them Nirala, Dhaleshwari, Jhatika and High Choice are notable bus services.
Several trains are available from Dhaka to Tangail. Among them most popular one is "Sirajganj Express". Other notable inter city trains those stop in Tangail railway station are: Padma Express, Ekota Express, Nilsagor Express, Silk City Express, Sundarban Express, Drutojan Express, Rangpur Express etc. Some local trains stop in the station too. Those are: Rajshahi Express, Rajshahi, Rajshahi Mail, Rangpur Express, Fast Passenger etc. 
- Chom Chom- A famous dessert of Tangail.
There are 8 notable high schools in the city. Those are-
- Bindu Basini Govt. Boys’ High School(established in 1880 by zamindar of Santosh-the famous Roy Chowdhury family)
- Bindu Basini Govt. Girls’ High School(established in 1882 by zamindar of Santosh-the famous Roy Chowdhury family)
- Shibnath High School
- Vivekananda high school
- Police lines high school
- Zilla Sadar girls' high school
- Santosh Jannabi Govt. high school.
- P.T.I high school.
There are several colleges in the city.Those are-
- Major General Mahmudul Hassan College
- Kumudini College
- Mawlana Mohammad Ali Govt. College
- Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Women's Govt. College
- Vivekananda College
- Police Lines College
Furthermore, Tangail Medical College & Tangail Polytechnic Institute  is located here.There is also a technical university named Mawlana Bhashani Science and Technology University  located at Santosh, Tangail.
- Karatia, Tangail
- Tangail District
- Tangail Airdrop
- Tangail Railway Station
- Tangail Airport
- Tangail Poura Uddan
- Tangail Stadium
- Gopalpur, Tangail, Bangladesh
- "land grabbers choke Tangail's louhajong river". The Daily Star Bangladesh. 2015-06-30. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- "Tangail Pourashava". Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2016-01-11.
- "Train schedule of tangail station". Bangladesh Railway. 2001-06-01.
- "..:: Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics ::.. Region Census 2011". Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2014-09-20.