Tangcal, Lanao del Norte
Municipal Hall 2007
|Region||Northern Mindanao (Region X)|
|Province||Lanao del Norte|
|District||2nd district of Lanao del Norte|
|Founded||June 16, 1956|
|• Mayor||Fatima M. Tomawis|
|• Vice Mayor||Dardagan M. Maliawao|
|• Total||178.62 km2 (68.97 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||85/km2 (220/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)63|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Electorate||6,995 voters as of 2016|
In 1956, the Barangays of Tangcal, Berowar, Pangao, Tawinian, Lumbac, Lawigadato, Somyorang, Bayabao, Pilingkingan, Ramain, Bagigicon, Lamaosa, Meladoc Big and Meladoc Small and Rarab, then part of Kolambugan, were constituted into the municipal district of Tangcal. Other Barangays and Areas of municipality of Munai are also consolidated.
- 1 Geography
- 2 History
- 3 Maranao Traditional Government
- 4 Martial Law and Start of War in Lanao del Norte
- 5 Places where people most connected according to traditional history
- 6 Elected officials 2016 - 2019
- 7 Education
- 8 Demographics
- 9 Mayors after People Power Revolution 1986
- 10 Vice Mayors after People Power Revolution 1986
- 11 Prominent Family involve in Politics
- 12 MILF-MNLF Dominant
- 13 Major Organization
- 14 List of Economy
- 15 Tourist Attraction and Destination
- 16 References
- 17 External links
It is located about 51 kilometers in the southwest of Iligan City, the commercial center of Lanao del Norte. Geographically, Tangcal is bounded by the municipalities of Tubod, Magsaysay and Maigo on the north, Munai on the east, Nunungan on the south, and Magsaysay on the west.
Originally, Tangcal is part of Municipality of Munai in the interior areas and municipality of Kolambugan in urvan area (sea direction). Some of the barangay in Tangcal is the same with munai and kolambugan because of the same locations and direct Connecticut locations. The Batingolo Family and Mutia Family are the prominent politics family in Tangcal are from Munai. Almost land area of Tangcal are elevated and the basic and easily economic are usually coconut plantation and corn before.
Maranao Traditional Government
- Sultan of Bayabao is the highest traditional position in municipality of Munai and municipality of Tangcal. Sultan of Bayabao term was originally and honorary given by the Sultan of Bayabao in Ramain, Lanao del Sur to the old-old Datus before as sign of friendship according the folk story. As prove, there is name barangay Bayabao in the municipality. Ramain was the one of the originally govern using Sultan traditional government.
- Sultan of Kapatagan is the key figure and state man being the traditional historian of all the families living in munai and tangcal
- Sultan of Adel a Maamor
- Sultan of Punud
- Sultan of Tangcal Proper
- Sultan of Beruar
Tribal Leader Who Fight Against American Invasion
Datu Mangansan was one of the Moro Tribe who hold and fight the American Soldiers at the time of American invasion. His remain is in Barangay Linao where he holds and fight with American troops. During the American escalation the lanao del Norte, Datu Mangansan had learn that the American troops are going direction to Tangcal, then he goes to the middle of mountain they called it now Barangay Linao to deck for his small Camp. Few days later, American troops are now reached barangay Linao where small Camp Datu Mangansan located and he is there alone and waiting them. According to the old elders story, Datu Mangansan made a traditional ceremonial first (Sagayan in maranao term) before he start to fight against American troops, however and on other hand, easy to the American troops to kill him since ceremonial takes almost an hour, for that when he starts to strike using his sword aiming to the American soldiers, on process they just fire at him because they are ready and watching.
Community Practice before Martial Law
Tangcal before was one of the very peaceful municipality in Lanao del Norte. Muslim (Maranao Tribe) and Non-Muslim (Christian) they live together as one Community. Most of the Muslim Male married with Christian Female, and their children are peacefully live together. There is Traders Market where Muslims from interior areas and Christians from urvan areas particular in Kolambugan exchange their goods and traditional items.
There was a Christian church build in Barangay Small Banisilon but it was destroyed during Martial Law. There was a schedule of Disco Club gatherings "Baylehan in bisaya term" where all young ladies and young gentlemen including their parents were they meet together just for exchange of cultural and social life. There was also a Contest Competition Program for Mister and Miss of Municipality of Tangcal, which one of the contestant that time who won for Miss Tangcal is Sittie Fatima Mangansan Mutia-Tomawis a Municipal Mayor of Tangcal.
However and suddenly, all the practices has been totally stopped when Late Aleem Ansari Mangansan Mutia an Elder Brother of Mayor Sittie Fatima Mangansan Mutia-Tomawis who came from abroad for Islamic Study. Aleem Anshari had advised his Sisters and Brothers and announced in the Public Mosque that those practices (Disco and Mister and Miss Tangcal) are "Sin" to Islam.
Collecting of Land Tax
Majority people living in Tangcal were happy because of the simple living because they do not have any worry at all just can eat any food every day, but, they have panic when the land have taxes. When then President Diosdao Macapagal signed the Land Reform Law to have tax from the Land. In Tangcal there are so many Land Lords but just few Land Lords could provide tax for their lands. On the first process of collecting taxes, sometimes the land lords give the livestock, food, crops just to pay their obligation, however and later soon, the landlords has divided their land to children’s, close relatives do not have enough lands and even helpers and workers just to accommodate the paying of much land taxes.
Folk History of Mutia Family
Originally and before Spain Invasion and later American Invasion, the tradition of the Maranao Tribe Leaders is to have workers “personal helpers” or BISAYA in maranao term (no salary but only shelter and protection). They usually cross the beach of municipality of Kolambugan to beach of Ozamis City by boat to catch food or a people living in other side land and make them as workers “personal helpers” or BISAYA.
There is a claim story from old maranao tribe leaders that there are Seven (7) Son of Tribe Leader name Datu Mutia living in the interior area in Lanao del Norte. They go out and cross the sea between Kolambugan and Ozamis City to search and catch human in order to become their own workers' “personal helpers” or BISAYA, however, after long time of searching six (6) of them have return but one of them did not and stay.
On other hand, there was a claim story that Mutia Families in Zamboanga del Norte and Misamis Occidental has originally blood from the people living in Interior area in Lanao del Norte, and even now the claim is still existing because of their great-great-great grandfather of great-great grandfather of Mutia Families in Zamboanga del Norte and Misamis Occidental has lifted a one small piece of book hanging in the center of the big house and told to his children the book is forbidden and do not touch it or even to it, however and long for many years when somebody open “because of their confusion why the book is forbidden” they saw writing inside the book but not familiar language or letters (Spanish language, English language), and some say that the drawings or the direction of letters are near to Arabic letters.
Martial Law and Start of War in Lanao del Norte
Tangcal is one the most affected of abused from the Philippine Constabulary Army (PC) and ILAGA Group during Martial Law. On long process of Martial Law, one of Key figure who had raised against Philippine Government is Late Aleem Ansari Mangansan Mutia, who is just finished Islamic Study from Madinah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He is adopted son of Late Senator Domocao Alonto from municipality of Ramian. Aleem Anshari Mutia has secured his Brothers including Brothers-in-Law and close Relatives to stand and fight in the name of Allah (Jehad Fi Sabilillah). He justified that of all the happenings on Martial Law made by Philippine Government Army and ILAGA Group were against ISLAM and Humanity.
Municipality of Tangcal is the “firing start” rebellion war against Philippine Constabulary Army (PC) in Lanao del Norte and next is municipality of Munai since they are one in traditional culture and close relatives, when Former PA Lieutenant Sultan Tagoranao Goldiano Macapaar a.k.a. “James Bond” had advised to his fellow Moro MNLF Commanders to attack any Military checkpoint between municipality of Tangcal and municipality of Kolambugan. As former military official, the former PA Lieutenant Sultan Tagoranao told to the fellow Moro MNLF Commanders that Government Army will not go to interior areas of Tangcal unless they suffer from any kind of strike, then after that they did strike and few days later Government Armies along with Passenger Trucks (Sixbie) and Military Tanks are approaching Tangcal then that the starts of the Wars in Lanao del Norte where current Lanao del Norte Governor that time has deeply concern about the situation.
List of Commander who followed:
- Commander Sultan Mamalampac M. Mutia "Lampa" (Municipal Commander)
- Commander Datu Diego Matanog Mangansan Mapandi a.k.a. Diego (Lanao Moro Provincial Commander)
- Commander Sultan Saifudin Tomawis a.k.a. Tony Falcon (Zone Commander)
- Commander Sultan Tagoranao Goldiano Macapaar a.k.a. James Bond "Former PA Lieutenant" (Zone Commander)
- Commander Sultan Fataque Abalos Mapandi Macondara a.k.a. King Fataque (Zone Commander)
Places where people most connected according to traditional history
- Municipality of Munai
- Municipality of Magsaysay
- Barangay Pawak, Municipality of Saguiran
- Barangay Ruruga-Agus River, Islamic City of Marawi
Elected officials 2016 - 2019
- Municipal Mayor: Fatima Mangansan Mutia- Tomawis
- Vice Mayor: Dardagan Maliawao
- Sangguniang Bayan:
- Abdani Buanding
- Junaid Usman
- Saalica Macondara
- Dimatimpos Tomarompong
- Michael Diragon
- Mocamad Gagaso
- Cabsaran Dimasancay
- Kayamora Mangilala
- ABC President:
- SB Secretary: Mr.
- Big Banisilon
- Big Meladoc
- Poona Kapatagan
- Small Banisilon
- Small Meladoc
- Tangcal Proper
Five (5) Baranggay are commonly called "Raya" (Top Area)
- Tangcal Proper
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2017)|
- Tangcal Elementary School
|Population census of Tangcal|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
Mayors after People Power Revolution 1986
- 1987 - 1989, OIC Mayor Fataq Mapandi
- 1989 - 1992, Mamalampac Mangansan Mutia
- 1992 - 1995, Mamalampac Mangansan Mutia
- 1995 - 1998, Mamalampac Mangansan Mutia
- 1998 - 2001, Alex Mapandi
- 2001 - 2004, Abdulaziz Mutia Batingolo
- 2004 - 2007, Abdulaziz Mutia Batingolo
- 2007 - 2010, Abdulaziz Mutia Batingolo
- 2010 - 2013, Aisha Batingolo
- 2013 - 2016, Fatima Mutia Tomawis
- 2016 present, Fatima Mutia Tomawis
Vice Mayors after People Power Revolution 1986
- 1987 - 1989, OIC Baraguir Diragon
- 1989 - 1992,
- 1992 - 1995, Usman
- 1995 - 1998, Solaiman Liawao
- 1998 - 2001, Kiram Mutia
- 2001 - 2004, Kiram Mutia
- 2004 - 2007, Kiram Mutia
- 2007 - 2010, Mamintal Sedic
- 2010 - 2013, Dardagan Maliawao
- 2013 - 2016, Dardagan Maliawao
- 2016 present, Dardagan Maliawao
Prominent Family involve in Politics
- Cali Family
- Mutia Family
- Macabangon Family
- Mapandi Family
- Batingolo Family
- Maliawao Family
- Tomawis Family
Local Political Family Holds The Administration More than 10 Years
- Mutia Family
- Batingolo Family
Majority of people living in Tangcal are all Maranao tribe and they are supporters of MILF and MNLF. All the social life and justices are always refer to MILF and MNLF rules "Sharia Law"
- MILF Cooperative
- MNLF (SPCPD) Cooperative
- Mana Multi-Purpose Cooperative
- Community of Munai-Tangcal Middle East (CMTME)
- Munai-Tangcal Cooperative (MTC)
List of Economy
Tourist Attraction and Destination
- Kendes River
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2017)|
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Province: LANAO DEL NORTE". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Census of Population (2015). "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "An Act Creating the Municipal District of Tangcal in the Province of Lanao". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007). "Region X (Northern Mindanao)". Total Population by Province, City and Municipality. NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- Official site of Tangcal
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Salvador||Nunungan||Madamba, Lanao del Sur|