Tango del Pecado
|"Tango del Pecado"|
|Single by Calle 13 featuring Bajofondo & Panasuyo|
|from the album Residente o Visitante|
|Released||March 27, 2007|
|Genre||Urban music, alternative reggaeton, tango|
|Label||Sony BMG Music Entertainment (US Latin)|
|Producer(s)||Visitante, Gustavo Santaolalla, Juan Campodónico|
|Calle 13 singles chronology|
"Tango del Pecado" (Tango of Sin) is the first single from Calle 13's second album, Residente o Visitante. The song features Bajofondo & Panasuyo and was released on iTunes via digital download on March 27, 2007.
The inspiration behind the song stems from the public's reaction to his real-life relationship with former Miss Universe Denise Quiñones, and a negative letter that Residente received from someone after he began dating her in which it was stated that Quiñones was going to burn in hell for dating the rapper. "Tango del Pecado" is addressed to Quiñones' parents, who did not approve of the couple's relationship. He explains that the song expresses how he will still date her regardless of their opinions, and also that "It's a calling out of the morality of Latin America. It's just an invitation to turn everything upside-down by embracing the ugly and profane in life and, you know, asking people to go on that journey." "Tango del Pecado" is the only single from Residente o Visitante that didn't need to be slightly edited due to vulgar lyrics.
Filmed on February 25, 2007 at the Hacienda Siesta Alegre, in the town of Río Grande, Puerto Rico, the video suggests a surreal sequence where Residente and real-life girlfriend Denise Quiñones are married in a garden, with barbed wire physically separating their families, Puerto Rico comedian Sunshine Logroño dressed as an archbishop to marry them, Tego Calderón and Voltio acting as best men, and various peculiar characters surrounding them. The video was directed by Gabriel Coss and Israel Lugo. On August 29, 2007, the video received a Latin Grammy nomination for Best Short Form Music Video.
"Tango del Pecado" reached number 14 on the Billboard Latin Rhythm Airplay chart.
Agustin Gurza of the Los Angeles Times referred to "Tango del Pecado" as "deliciously seductive" and "[one] of the most memorable songs of the year." Jason Birchmeier of Allmusic enjoyed the Residente's storytelling on the track, calling the song a "clever narrative".
- Diaz, Margarita (April 18, 2007). "Down 'n' dirty, South America way". NY Daily News (Mortimer Zuckerman). Retrieved August 26, 2011.
- Burr, Ramiro (June 7, 2007). "Calle 13 expands with tango and hip-hop". Chicago Tribune (Tribune Company). Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- Latina.com Interview - "The Calle 13 Revolution"
- Rivera, Enrique. "Calle 13 Invites Fans To Embrace The Ugly". National Public Radio. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Chart History: Tango del Pecado - Calle 13". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Gurza, Agustin (December 15, 2007). "The year in music - Latin pop expands boundaries". The Los Angeles Times (Tribune Company). Retrieved March 17, 2012.
- Birchmeier, Jason. "Residente o Visitante Review". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved February 9, 2011.