Tanja Liedtke (6 October 1977 – 17 August 2007) was a German-born professional choreographer and dancer. She was most noted as a dancer, choreographer and director of contemporary dance in Australia and Europe.
Early life and education
Tanja Liedtke was born on 6 October 1977 in Stuttgart, Germany. As a young child, she moved with her family to Madrid, Spain, where she began to study ballet. Her family then settled in London, England, where she won a place to study at the Elmhurst School for Dance, a renowned professional ballet school. After deciding to pursue a career in contemporary dance, she continued her studies at the Rambert School, graduating in 1996.
Liedtke was granted Australian citizenship in 1996, keeping the dual German and Australian citizenship, and began her professional career with Australian Dance Theatre, working with the company until 2003. During this time, she toured with the company internationally, most notably around Australia, Asia, United Kingdom and North America. After ADT, she returned to England where she joined the London-based DV8 Physical Theatre, under the direction of choreographer Lloyd Newson. During 2001 to 2007 Liedtke started to choreograph her own work. In 2007, Liedtke was appointed Artistic Director of the Sydney Dance Company, succeeding the founder Graeme Murphy. Unfortunately she did not have the opportunity to take the position, as she was killed in an accident before she was due to start.
Following her death, the Tanja Liedtke Foundation was established in honour of her work. The Foundation’s purpose is to support the enrichment and advancement of contemporary dance theatre, and the development of Australian/European artistic connections.
The Tanja Liedtke Foundation is registered in Stuttgart, Germany as Tanja Liedtke Stiftung with tax-privileged purposes in accordance with German Law.
- 1999 - Dance Australia Critics Choice Award for Most Promising Choreography
- 2000 - Dance Australia Critics Choice Award for Most Promising Choreography
- 2006 - Australian Dance Award for Outstanding Achievement in Choreography for her production of Twelfth Floor
- 2008 - Helpmann Award for Best Choreography in a Dance or Physical Theatre Work for her choreography of "Construct" (posthumous)
- 2009 - Australian Dance Award for Outstanding Achievement in Choreography for her choreography of Construct (posthumous)
- 2009 - Australian Dance Award for Outstanding Achievement in Independent Dance for her choreography of Construct (posthumous)
- "Sydney Dance company director Tanja Liedtke killed". AAP. 2007-08-17. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- directed by Bryan Mason and Sophie Hyde from Adelaide film company Closer Productions
- The Ruby Awards
- "Choreographer's tale tops awards". AdelaideNow. 10 September 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- Wilson, Ashleigh (July 29, 2008). "Billy Elliot boys named best actor winners at Helpmann Awards". The Australian. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- Perkin, Corrie (June 8, 2009). "Posthumous award for gifted Liedtke". The Australian. Retrieved 7 February 2010.