|Born||13 February 1978|
|Occupation||English teacher, FARC member|
Tanja Nijmeijer (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈtɑɲaː ˈnɛimɛiər]; born 13 February 1978), also known as Alexandra Nariño, is a Dutch former guerrilla fighter and English teacher who has been a member of the Colombian guerrilla group Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) since 2002. She has also been one of the group's leading public figures since the discovery of her diary in 2007. She was part of the negotiating team involved in successful peace talks with the Colombian government.
Early life and education
Nijmeijer studied Romance languages and Romance cultures at the University of Groningen. In 1998 she went to Colombia and became an English teacher. She later returned to the Netherlands and continued her university studies.
In 2002, Nijmeijer returned to Colombia and in November joined the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC). She became one of FARC's leading public figures from 2007 onwards, when a private journal she had been keeping was found by the Colombian military and became the focus of international news reports. In her journal Nijmeijer wrote about the hardships of, and her occasional disillusionment with life as a guerrilla. Up until 2010, Nijmeijer was in a romantic relationship with a nephew of FARC leader Víctor Julio Suárez Rojas.
- Tanja Nijmeijer Colombia Reports, 19 November 2012
- Pachico, Elyssa (7 November 2012). "Dutch FARC Guerrilla Arrives in Cuba (and Sings About it)". InSight Crime. Retrieved 7 November 2012.
- Farc to send Dutch woman to Oslo talks, The Guardian, October 16, 2012
- "INTERPOL: Nijmeijer, Tanja Anamary". www.interpol.int. Interpol. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
1) Conspiracy to Commit Hostage Taking - 1 count
2) Hostage Taking - 3 counts
3) Using a Firearm During a Crime of Violence - 1 count
4) Conspiracy to Provide Material Support to Terrorists - 1 count
5) Conspiracy to Provide Material Support or Resources to a Designated Foreign Terrorist Organization - 1 count
- "US court indicts Dutch Farc rebel Tanja Nijmeijer". BBC News. 16 December 2010. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- Dutch Tanja Nijmeijer on US terrorist charges, Radio Netherlands Worldwide by Reinout van Wagtendonk, December 15, 2010
|This article about a person from the Netherlands is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|