Tank in 1982. From left to right: Mark Brabbs, Algy Ward and Peter Brabbs
|Years active||1980–1989, 1997–present|
|Labels||4Worlds Media, Kamaflage, Music for Nations, Spiritual Beast/Zoom Club|
|Members||Algy Ward's Tank:
|Past members||Mark Brabbs
Dave "Grav" Cavill
Tank is a British heavy metal band, formed in 1980 by Algy Ward, a former member of The Damned. The band is known as part of the new wave of British heavy metal movement. Tank was often compared to Motörhead as both bands, trios fronted by singing bassists, played a loose, almost punk-styled metal music with often colourful lyrics.
Their 1982 debut album, Filth Hounds of Hades, was positively received by both punk and metal fans as well as most critics, regarded now as one of the best albums of the NWOBHM movement. Allmusic critic, Eduardo Rivadavia; described it as "Tank's best album ever, and qualifying it as an essential item in the record collection of any serious '80s metal fan."
As was the case with many other bands of the era, Tank was never able to build on the promise shown by their first album. The band continued on for years through lineup changes and waning commercial fortunes before finally disbanding in 1989. Ward resurrected the band in 1997 playing tour dates around Europe and Japan for a couple of years. A new album, Still At War, emerged in 2002. In August 2006 Ward reported that he was putting the finishing touches on the demos for the next Tank album, Sturmpanzer. The band's website has listed the release date for this album as "TBA" for years.
On 20 December 2008 a new lineup was announced. Guitarists Mick Tucker and Cliff Evans were joined by original drummer Mark Brabbs and former Bruce Dickinson bassist Chris Dale. Algy Ward was replaced by former Rainbow singer Doogie White. For 2010 the band replaced Brabbs with Voodoo Six drummer, Dave Cavill and released the new Tank album War Machine, with this lineup in released in October 2010. For 2011 the band replaced Cavill with heavy metal drummer, Mark Cross.
In February 2012 the band announced their first live DVD recorded the previous summer in Poland with additional footage to be recorded in March 2012. The band also released details of the return of former drummer, Steve Hopgood, along with details of the forthcoming album, War Nation. The album was released on 4 June on Metal Mind Productions, produced by Phil Kinman at his west London studios.
In 2013 it emerged that Algy Ward has resurrected his own version of the band, with all tracks on a new album called Breath of the Pit being "written, played and shouted" by Ward himself. According to Algy Ward, Sturmpanzer was to be released sometime in 2015. Tank led by Tucker/Evans was scheduled to release their third album that year as well. The album, called Valley of Tears, was scheduled to be released on 9 June, but was pushed back to 18 September.
In January 2016, Ward stated on his Tank website that Sturmpanzer was finished and will be finally released in early 2016.
Compilation / Live Albums
Algy Ward's Tank
Algy Ward's Tank
- Algy Ward (1980–1989, 1997–2008, 2013–present) – vocals, all instruments (2013–present); vocals, bass (1980–1989, 1997–2008)
- Mick Tucker (1983–1989, 1997–present) – guitar
- Cliff Evans (1984–1989, 1997–present) – guitar
- ZP Theart (2013–present) – vocals (2014-present), live vocals (2013–2014) (as touring member)
- Barend Courbois (2014–present) – bass
- Bobby Schottkowski (2014–present) – drums
- "NWOBHM Encyclopedia". Retrieved 20 July 2009.
- Popoff, Martin (2005). The Collector's Guide To Heavy Metal Volume 2: The Eighties. Toronto: Collector's Guide Publishing. p. 350. ISBN 1-894959-31-0.
- "Tank - Filth Hounds of Hades - Reviews - Encyclopaedia Metallum". The Metal Archives. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- Eduardo Rivadavia. "Filth Hounds of Hades - Tank | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- "TANK Mainman Putting Finishing Touches On 'Sturmpanzer'".
- "Metalmind". Metalmind.pl. 2012-03-09. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- "Algy Ward's Tank: 'Breath Of The Pit' Cover Artwork Unveiled". Blabbermouth.net. 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- "ALGY WARD TO RELEASE NEW TANK ALBUM ‘STURMPANZER’ IN 2015". Zero Tolerance. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "TANK: 'Valley Of Tears' Artwork, Track Listing Unveiled". Blabbermouth.net. 9 March 2015. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "TANK's 'Valley Of Tears' Pushed Back To September". Blabbermouth.net. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- "Welcome to the Official TANK website! Hammer On!". www.tankfilthhounds.net. Retrieved 2016-01-08.