Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi
Official Parliamentary portrait, June 2017
|Member of Parliament|
|Assumed office |
8 June 2017
|Preceded by||Fiona Mactaggart|
|Born||17 August 1978|
Slough, Berkshire, England
Dhesi has a bachelor's degree in mathematics with management studies from University College London, studied applied statistics at Keble College, Oxford, and has a Master of Philosophy in the history and politics of South Asia from Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge.
In 2012, his mother, Dalwinder Kaur Dhesi, was jailed in India, for kidnap and forcing an abortion on a teenage mother, who later died. The conviction was criticised by many commentators for being politically motivated, and an appeal was filed by Dalwinder in the immediate aftermath of the decision. In 2018, a double bench of the Punjab and Haryana High Court upheld this appeal. All charges against her were subsequently dropped.
- "Members' Names Data Platform query". UK Parliament. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "Dhesi is Labour candidate from Slough | Chandigarh News – Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 30 April 2017. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- Nic Brunetti (29 April 2017). "Slough born Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi pays tribute to home town he 'loves so much' as he is chosen as Labour candidate to replace Fiona Mactaggart MP (From Slough Observer)". Sloughobserver.co.uk. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "How Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi Became UK's First Turbaned Member Of Parliament". Huffington Post India. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Drugs Policy - Hansard". hansard.parliament.uk. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Tan Dhesi MP". Labour South East. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- "Mayor of Gravesham embroiled in mother's jailing for kidnap". Kentonline.co.uk. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "UK polls: Harpreet Kaur case convict's son in fray | chandigarh". Hindustan Times. 22 April 2016. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "yespunjab". Yespunjab. 4/12/18. Check date values in:
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "GRAVESHAM 2015". electionresults.blogspot.co.uk.
- Basu, Indrani (9 June 2017). "How Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi Became UK's First Turbaned Sikh Member Of Parliament". Huffington Post India. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- Matthews, Luke (18 July 2017). "Slough MP Tan Dhesi praised for maiden speech in parliament". sloughexpress.co.uk.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi on Twitter
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Slough
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2017 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (MP) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|