This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pt.Tanmoy Bose during his recent performance at Kolkata Fusion Fiesta 2013
|Born||23 August 1963|
|Origin||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Genres||Hindustani classical music, jazz fusion|
|Occupation(s)||Tabla Maestro and Composer|
|Instruments||Tabla, Frame Drums, Harmonium and Vocal|
|Labels||HMV, Music Today, EMI, Bol Records, Asha Audio, Times Music|
|Associated acts||Dhwani, Moksh, Taaltantra, Taaltantra Experience, Veshtantra, Baul & Beyond, Sound of Soil, Rock Qawali|
Tanmoy Bose (Bengali: তন্ময় বোস; born 23 August 1963) is an Indian percussionist and tabla player, musical producer, film actor and composer. He has collaborated with Pandit Ravi Shankar, Anoushka Shankar and Amjad Ali Khan, and created the musical group The Taal Tantra Experience in 2002.
Early life and training
He was born and raised in Kolkata, and studied at the South Point High School and subsequently graduated from the Scottish Church College. His musical education began at the age of seven, learning vocal music from Pandit (teacher) Maharaj Banerjee, harmonium from Pandit Mantu Banerjee, and subsequently learning tabla.
Bose has performed extensively with Indian Classical musicians like Munawar Ali Khan, Pandit V.G Jog, Imrat Khan. He has worked with Padma Bhushan and Amjad Ali Khan since his college days. Ravi Shankar regularly invited him to play and spend almost half of the year touring. Bose has been a researcher and composer.
Whilst touring abroad his experience with musicians, composers and choreographers lead to the creation of Beyond Borders with Chaturang Moksh, Taalyagna etc., based on Indian Rhythm and Dance nuances.
In 2002 his world music project The Taal Tantra Experience - showcasing familiar sounds through unfamiliar mediums, cross cultural rhythm and devices. He was one of the foremost musicians to introduce folk songs and tribal drumming into band format. Designing a musical filigree between Folk music, Indian classical music, Jazz and South American drumming (Latin percussion). The Taal Tantra Experience has emerged as one of the foremost world music bands in the Mid-East, North America, Europe and India. The name signifies "Sādhanā" or worship through rhythm. Even though Taal Tantra is not just drumming, it has elements of various instrumentation coming full circle.
Bose has worked on numerous projects worldwide. He participated on three Grammy Award winning recordings Concert for George, Full Circle: Carnegie Hall 2000 and The Living Room Sessions Part 1. He has composed music for National Award-winning feature films and various documentaries and ballets.
Maestros Studio Session-Times Music
- Rabi Baul-Tagore and Folk with narration-Asha Audio
- Tasher Desh- Indo Bangladesh production-Asha Audio
- Taaltantra-1& 2.World Music -Times Music
- Taaltantra Experience- World Music.-Ozella Music
- Baul & Beyond-Folk/world music- Music Today
- Navaras-Nine Moods/Orchestral-Hmv SaReGaMa
- Solo Tabla- Traditional Indian classical-Bol Records
- Full Circle: Carnegie Hall/Pandit Ravi Shankar-EMI
- Anourag - Anoushka Shankar -EMI
- Live at Carnegie Hall (Anoushka Shankar)-EMI
- Rise -Anoushka Shankar -EMI
- Traveler-Anoushka Shankar-EMI
- Sarod Trilogy-Ustad Amjad Ali Khan/Amaan & Ayaan Ali Khan.-Bangash Music
- Live at Carnegie Hall-Ustad Amjad ali Khan.
- Ahiri-Indian classical/sarod Tejendra Narayan -India archive music
- Charukeshi-Indian Classical/Sitar& Sarod Sujat hussain khan & tejendra narayan-India archive music
- Living room sessions part-1/Pandit RaviShankar-East meets West Music
- Desh & Puriya dhaneshree live concert in uk/ Vocal,Rashid Khan.-Navras records
- Raga Unveiled-DVD Indian classical music
- Raga Revelry-DVD Indian classical music
- DRUM DREAMZ- CONTINENTAL DRUMMING.Percussion solos from some of the greatest percussionists from Brazil/Senegal/Iran/India/Europe.-TIMES MUSIC
Awards and accolades
- Centre for Indian Studies, USA
- Bengali Association of Greater Nashville, USA
- Indo-American Cultural and Religious Foundation
- Shree Venkateswara Temple of North Carolina, USA
- Hafiz Ali Khan Memorial Society, Delhi
- North Calcutta Junior Chamber
- Salt Lake Cultural Association, Kolkata
- Sangeet Piyasi, Kolkata
- Alfa Bangla Sangeet Puraoshkar
- Shilpan Academy yearly Sangeet Sammelan
- Anti terrorism Cultural Protest of SPANDAN
- ITC Sangeet Sammelan, Munger
- South Point Golden Jubilee
- Punascha – ST.Louis, USA
- Shilpa Society
- Jagari— Kolkata
- Bhalobasi Tai Gai
- Dalhousie Athletics Club, Kolkata
- South Point Ex-Student Association
- Music World, Kolkata
- Annual Sports Meet- Kolkata police
- Sangeet Sanman, Govt. of West Bengal
- Sangeet Maha SAMMAN, Govt of West Bengal
- "Positive vibes helps in recreating on-stage spark : Tanmoy". Business Standard. 1 May 2012.
- "I'm very diplomatic: Pt Tanmoy Bose". The Times of India. 23 February 2011.
- Some Alumni of Scottish Church College in 175th Year Commemoration Volume. Scottish Church College, April 2008. page 591
- "ITC Sangeet Sammelan — Bangalore - 2006". ITC Sangeet Research Academy. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.