Scheppers with the Texas Rangers in 2015
|Texas Rangers – No. 52|
January 17, 1987 |
Mission Viejo, California
|June 7, 2012, for the Texas Rangers|
(through September 10, 2016)
|Earned run average||4.14|
Tanner Ross Scheppers (born January 17, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Texas Rangers of Major League Baseball (MLB). Prior to playing professionally, he played college baseball at Fresno State.
Scheppers played shortstop at Dana Hills High School in Dana Point, California. When his high school team experienced a shortage of pitchers, Scheppers was pressed into action as a pitcher. The Baltimore Orioles drafted Scheppers in the 29th round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft, but he opted to attend California State University, Fresno to play for the Fresno State Bulldogs instead. Fresno State recruited Scheppers as a shortstop, but used him as a pitcher.
In 2008, his junior year, Scheppers had a 8-2 win-loss record with a 2.93 earned run average and 109 strikeouts in 70 2⁄3 innings pitched, and was named the Western Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Year. Fresno State won the 2008 College World Series, though Scheppers did not play in the tournament due to an injured rotator cuff and labrum in his shoulder.
Due to the shoulder injury, Scheppers fell in the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft to the second round, with the 48th overall selection, where he was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates. Due to health concerns, the Pirates offered Scheppers less money than he was hoping for, and he opted not to sign with the Pirates.
Scheppers signed with the St. Paul Saints of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball for the 2009 season.
Scheppers was chosen in the supplementary first round, with the 44th overall selection, of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft by the Texas Rangers. Teams passed on him again due to injury concerns, as some believed he had a partially torn labrum, which would require surgery. Scheppers also was the pitching coach for the junior varsity baseball team at Trabuco Hills High School in Mission Viejo, California, for the 2009 season.
On June 7, 2012, Scheppers was called up to the majors when Derek Holland was placed on the 15-day disabled list. On the same day, he made his Major League debut for the Texas Rangers in relief of Yu Darvish, and gave up a solo home run and struck out 2 in 1 2/3 innings in a 7-1 loss to the Oakland Athletics. Scheppers picked up his first win on August 16, 2012 when the Rangers defeated the New York Yankees. In 2013, Scheppers made 76 relief appearances for the Rangers, tied for the third-most in the American League.
The Rangers named Scheppers their Opening Day starting pitcher in 2014. However, he experienced right elbow inflammation and went on the disabled list in April, after making four starts. He returned to the Rangers in June as a relief pitcher, and returned to the disabled list with elbow inflammation after making four appearances. Scheppers missed the last two months of the 2015 season with a bone bruise in his left knee.
- "BaseballAmerica.com: College: Season Preview: Quick Jumper". February 19, 2008. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "O.C. in the Majors: Scheppers lands in Texas bullpen". The Orange County Register. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Tanner Scheppers solid in final appearance as St. Paul Saints sweep doubleheader". Twin Cities. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Fresno State wins College World Series". New York Daily News. Associated Press. June 26, 2008. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "Dana Hills' Scheppers earns spot in the show". The Orange County Register. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Rob Biertempfel (July 2, 2008). "Scheppers' signing hinges on health". TribLIVE.com. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Rangers Draft pick may need surgery". Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Scheppers, Teagarden excited for '10". Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Major League Baseball Transactions". Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Futures game: Hank Conger lifts USA; RedHawks' Tanner Scheppers pitches in ninth". NewsOK.com. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "New sheriff in town: Tanner Scheppers". ESPN. June 7, 2012. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- "Tanner Scheppers acknowledges his season could be over". star-telegram. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Tanner Scheppers named Rangers' Opening Day starter". Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Rangers place Tanner Scheppers on DL with elbow injury". star-telegram. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Tanner Scheppers of Texas Rangers placed on DL with elbow problem". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Rangers notes: Tanner Scheppers out at least first half of season". star-telegram. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Scheppers out for half season with knee injury". Retrieved February 22, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tanner Scheppers.|