|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Body||Tanuku Municipality|
|• MLA||Arimilli Radha Krishna|
|• Municipal Chairman||Dommeti Venkata Sudhakar|
|• Municipal Commissioner||Amaraiah|
|• Total||24.83 km2 (9.59 sq mi)|
|• Density||3,600/km2 (9,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
As of 2011[update] census of India, the town had a population of 92,348. The total population constitute 35,495 males, 36,853 females and 6,437 children are in the age group of 0-6 years. The merger of surrounding villages has increased the population to 90,430.
Tanuku Municipality was constituted in the year 1979 as a second grade municipality. It was upgraded to first grade in the year 2002 and has 34 election wards. Its jurisdiction is spread over an area of 24.83 km2 (9.59 sq mi). The present municipal chairman is Dommeti Venkata Sudhakar and the municipal commissioner is Amaraiah.
Andhra Sugars Limited supplies liquid hydrogen, a byproduct of sugarcane to the ISRO, for using it as a rocket propellant in satellite launch vehicles. The other byproducts are also used in liquor, paper and power industries.
Adikavi Nannaya, the first poet of Telugu language, translated Mahabarata from Sanskrit to Telugu. He was a native of Tanuku. Javvadi Yamini Narasambika in dance, AJS Ramareddy in literature and poetry and Dampuri Narayanarao in folk arts have won the Ugadi awards in their respective fields, announced by the District Cultural Council . The Youth Cultural Celebrations is one such example of promoting cultural activities.
The town has a total road length of 126.26 km (78.45 mi). The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation operates bus services from Tanuku bus station. Tanuku railway station is classified as a B–category station in the Vijayawada railway division of South Central Railway zone.
The primary and secondary school education is imparted by government, aided and private schools, under the School Education Department of the state. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English, Telugu.
Chitturi Subba Rao – Gopichand Badminton Academy is the badminton academy under the Chitturi Subba Rao Trust for training the under 13 badminton players. The academy hosted COSCO A.P. State Open Mini Badminton Championship 2016. The Tanuku Football Club is one of the team in Football League of West Godavari tournament, promoting the Football. Sports personalities from the city include: Rella Sanjeeva Rao is an under-14 Badminton player, top ranker for U-13 level, gold medalist at national level championship;
- "Municipality Profile". Tanuku Municipality. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "West Godavari District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. p. 445. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "District Census Handbook – West Godavari" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 22–23,54. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "About Tanuku Municipality | Tanuku Municipality". tanuku.cdma.ap.gov.in. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "Urban Local Bodies". Municipal Administration & Urban Development. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Municipalities, Municipal Corporations & UDAs" (PDF). Directorate of Town and Country Planning. Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Efforts on to make Tanuku green: MLA". The Hans India. Tanuku. 5 July 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Bureau, Our (28 January 2012). "Andhra Sugars begins supplying liquid hydrogen to ISRO". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- SOMASEKHAR, M. (16 February 2012). "They propel our space programme". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Andhra Pradesh sugar rush for rockets by ISRO". Deccan Chronicle. 18 February 2015. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "25 selected for Ugadi Puraskarams". The Hans India. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Youth cultural celebrations organised". The Hans India. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Details of Roads in each ULB of Andhra Pradesh". Commissioner and Directorate of Municipal Administration. Municipal Administration and Urban Developmemt Department - Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- "Bus Stations in Districts". Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Divisional info" (PDF). Indian Railways. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "School Eduvation Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education - Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Shridharan, J. R. (13 March 2014). "Andhra Badminton association to be split by month-end". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Badminton tourney at Tanuku". The Hans India. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Reporter, Staff (6 June 2016). "Mini badminton championship kicks off". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "AXALT Group sponsors TFC". The Hans India. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Tanuku lad Sanjeeva Rao newest badminton sensation – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 November 2016.