August 27, 1942|
Los Angeles, CA
|Residence||Santa Barbara, CA|
|Institutions||University of California Santa Barbara|
|Alma mater||Scripps Institution of Oceanography|
Tanya Atwater (born August 27, 1942) is a retired American geophysicist and marine geologist who specialized in plate tectonics, in particular the evolution of the San Andreas fault plate boundary. Her educational work focused on the creation of computer-animated multimedia products and presentations depicting plate tectonic histories.
Tanya Atwater was born in Los Angeles on August 27, 1942. Atwater received her B.A. in Geophysics from the University of California at Berkeley in 1965, though she began her education at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. and is a University of California, San Diego Alumna, holding a Ph.D. (1972) in Marine Geophysics from Scripps Institution of Oceanography. She is director of the UCSB Educational Multimedia Visualization Center and an emerita professor of geological sciences at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She was a professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology before joining the faculty at UCSB in 1980. Atwater retired from UCSB in 2007.
Awards and honors
- 1975, Fellow, American Geophysical Union
- 1980, AAAS Newcomb Cleveland Prize for top research article in the journal Science
- 1997, elected to the National Academy of Sciences
- 2002, National Science Foundation Director's Award for Distinguished Teaching Scholars. This award, of $300,000 over four years, is given to help and honor distinguished scientists who are working out ways to translate research into education. The money is meant to provide teaching scholars the opportunity to expand their work beyond their home institutions.
- Leopold von Buch Medal, German Geosciences Society
- Menard, H. W., and Tanya Atwater, 1968, Changes in direction of sea floor spreading. Nature, v. 219, p. 463-467. Reprinted in Plate Tectonics and Geomagnetic Reversals, p. 412-419, W. H. Freeman Co. San Francisco, 1973.
- Atwater, Tanya, 1970, Implications of plate tectonics for the Cenozoic tectonic evolution of western North America. Bull. Geol. Soc. Amer., v. 81, p. 3513-3536. Reprinted in Plate Tectonics and Geomagnetic Reversals, p. 583-609, W. H. Freeman Co., San Francisco, 1973. Reprinted in U.C.S.D., Scripps Inst. Oceanography., Contributions, Vol. 40, Part 2, p. 1249–1271, 1970.
- Atwater, Tanya, and P. Molnar, 1973, Relative motion of the Pacific and North American plates deduced from seafloor spreading in the Atlantic, Indian and South Pacific Oceans. R. L. Kovach and A. Nur, eds., Proc. of the Conf. on Tectonic Problems of the San Andreas Fault, Geological Sciences, v. XIII, Stanford Univ., p. 136-148. •Reprinted in U.C.S.D., Scripps Inst. Oceanography., Contributions, Vol. 44, Part 2, p. 1362–1374, 1974.
- Atwater, Tanya, 1981, Propagating rifts in seafloor spreading patterns. Nature, v. 290, p. 185 186.
- Atwater, T., 1991, Tectonics of the Northeast Pacific, Transactions of the Royal Society of Canada, Series I, v. I, pp. 295–318.
- Atwater, T., 1998, Plate Tectonic History of Southern California with emphasis on the Western Transverse Ranges and Santa Rosa Island, in Weigand, P. W., ed., Contributions to the geology of the Northern Channel Islands, Southern California: American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Pacific Section, MP 45, p. 1-8.
- Atwater, Tanya. "Tanya Atwater". John A. Dutton e-Education Institute. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Gates 2003.
- "EMVC Web Page".
- "AGU Fellows". Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- Atwater, Tanya. "Faculty Accolades Earth Sciences, UC Santa Barbara". Retrieved 4 March 2014.
- "National Academy of Sciences, Member Directory".
- "Calling all geologists: Put your mental pictures here". Geotimes. American Geological Institute. July 2002. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Dreyfus, Claudia (12 October 1999). "A conversation with/Tanya Atwater; She put the San Andreas Fault in its place". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 December 2012.
- Gates, Alexander E. (2003), ""Atwater, Tanya"", A to Z of earth scientists, New York: Facts on File, pp. 10–12, ISBN 978-0816045808
- Henderson, Andrea Kovacs (2009). "Atwater, Tanya Maria". American men & women of science : a biographical directory of today's leaders in physical, biological, and related sciences 1 (26th ed.). Detroit, Mich.: Gale. p. 261. ISBN 978-1414433004.
- Faculty homepage
- Educational Multimedia Visualization Center
- Women at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1940-1965