Tanya Nicole Kach
Tanya Nicole Kach (born October 14, 1981) is an American woman who was held captive for ten years by a security guard at the school she attended. Thomas Hose, her captor, eventually pleaded guilty to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and other related offenses and was sentenced to five to fifteen years in prison.
Thomas Hose was a security guard at Cornell Middle School in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, where Kach was a student. Hose befriended Kach, often taking her out of classes to talk to her and one day when he caught her skipping class, he kissed her. Over time, Hose convinced Kach to run away from her family and move in with him, which she did in February 1996.
For the first four years, she was not allowed out of the house. Hose lived with his parents and son and went to great lengths to keep Kach hidden from them. She was confined to his second story bedroom all day and had to go to the toilet in a bucket. In 2000, Hose created a new identity for Kach, "Nikki Allen", and introduced her to his parents as his girlfriend who would be moving in with them. After this, she was occasionally allowed to leave the house but had a strict curfew. Six years later she escaped.
In 2007, Hose plead guilty to three counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault, statutory sexual assault, interfering with the custody of a child, corruption of a minor and child endangerment.
Escape and later life
After being allowed some time outside of the house, Kach with time realized that her relationship with Hose was not normal. She escaped from captivity with the help of Joe Sparico, a grocery store owner in her neighborhood, by revealing her true identity to him and asking him to send police to the house.
Kach was happy to be reunited with her family, but since then become estranged from her father. Since her escape, Kach is now[when?] engaged and is now a step-mother to her fiancé's daughter and son.
Since her escape, Kach attempted to sue numerous government organizations for their failing of her, including the police and school board. All were thrown out of court. She has also written a New York Times Bestselling book titled Memoir of a Milk Carton Kid: The Tanya Nicole Kach Story. (Tate Publishing, 2011, ISBN 978-1613467596).
- Captive: The Sex Slave Girl, Channel 4, 29 November 2012
- Ian Urbina, "Woman, 24, Says Neighbor Held Her Captive for 10 Years", New York Times, Mar 24, 2006.
- "Tanya Kach: 'My 10 years as a sex slave' in abductor Thomas Hose's bedroom - Daily Mail Online". Mail Online.
- "Man pleads guilty in runaway case" (Associated Press), Reading Eagle, June 25, 2007.
- "Woman Missing for Ten Years Reunited with Family", USA Today, March 23, 2006.
- "Woman tells details of 10 years in captivity", MSNBC, March 24, 2006.
- "Story hits close to home for Tanya Nicole Kach, held captive in McKeesport", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, May 8, 2013
- Katherine Ramsland, "Sex Slaves: The Psychology of Mastery", Crime Library.
- Hannah Roberts, "'My 10 years as a sex slave': Milk carton kid held hostage in her abductor's bedroom describes her ordeal for the first time", Mail Online, October 14, 2011.
- "Memoir of a milk carton kid". WorldCat. Retrieved December 1, 2012.