Tanzania Breweries Limited
|Headquarters||Buguruni, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
|Cleopa Msuya |
Chairman of the Board
|Products||Beer, Wines and Spirits|
|Revenue||TSh 892 Billion (March 2013)|
|TSh 176 Billion (March 2013)|
|Total assets||TSh 738 Billion (March 2013)|
|Total equity||TSh487Billion (March 2013)|
Number of employees
Tanzania Breweries Limited, also referred to as TBL, is the oldest and largest brewing company in Tanzania.
Tanzania Breweries Limited is a Tanzania based company principally engaged in the production, distribution and sale of malt beer, non-alcoholic malt beverages and alcoholic fruit beverages in Tanzania.
1930 - 1959
Tanzania Breweries Limited was founded in 1933 as Tanganyika Breweries in Tanganyika (now part of Tanzania). Tanganyika Breweries was acquired by Nairobi based Kenya Breweries Limited (KBL) in 1935. In 1936, KBL and Tanganyika Breweries operations were merged leading to the creation of the East African Breweries Limited (EABL).
1960 - 1989
In 1964, The company name was changed from Tanganyika Breweries Limited to Tanzania Breweries Limited following the political unification of Tanganyika and the People's Republic of Zanzibar and Pemba to form the United Republic of Tanzania.
In 1967 the Government of Tanzania made their first equity investment in TBL through their acquisition of 45% stake in the brewery. They later took full control of the company in 1979 as part of the government's nationalization of large industries as part of the Arusha Declaration. After being nationalized in 1967, TBL was poorly managed and become a loss making entity.
1990 - 1999
In 1993 the Tanzanian government entered into a joint venture with South African Breweries International (Now SABMiller) to run TBL. This was through a USD$22.5 million investment in TBL by SABI, giving them SABI 50% ownership of the Company. SABMiller is the second largest and one of the most efficient brewing companies in the world. SABMiller turned TBL around with extraordinary speed, almost tripling production in the space of three years.
2000 - 2009
In 2002, Diageo backed EABL acquired a 20% equity stake in TBL after it (EABL) signed license agreements with South African Breweries International and agreed to issue SABI a similar share Kenya Breweries Limited. In the agreement, SABI exited the Kenyan market while EABL exited the Tanzanian market by handing over its Kibo subsidiary to TBL. This partnership gave TBL 98% share of the market as by the year 2004.
2010 to Date
In 2010, EABL ended this agreement with TBL with the option to buy a 51% stake in Serengeti Breweries, the second-biggest beer maker in Tanzania, and disposed its 20% stake in TBL for $71.5 million through a secondary offer on the DSE in 2011.
On March 14, 2013, the TBL acquired 60% of the share capital of Dar es Salaam based Darbrew Limited for TShs 8,816 Million and obtained control of the company.
As at March 31, 2013, TBL had a 74% market share of alcoholic beverages in Tanzania and was a major exporter of beer to Nile Breweries Limited of Uganda, Crown Beverage Limited of Kenya and Zambia Breweries Limited of Zambia all subsidiaries of SABMiller.
Subsidiaries and Investments
The companies that comprise the Tanzania Breweries Limited include:
- Tanzania Breweries Limited - The flagship company of the group. Engages in the production, distribution and sale of malt beer, non-alcoholic malt beverages and alcoholic fruit beverages in Tanzania.
- Kibo Breweries Limited - 100% Shareholding - Engages in management of fixed assets. The companies within the group lease plant and machinery, motor vehicles and furniture from this unit.
- Tanzania Distilleries Limited - 65% Shareholding - Engages in the production of spirituous liquors.
- Darbrew Limited - 60% Shareholding - Engages in the production of Traditional African everages (TAB) commonly known as Opaque beer.
- Mountainside Farms Limited - 4% Shareholding - Engages in barley farming
All the companies that constitute TBL are domiciled in Tanzania.
At the moment TBL trades 11 Key brands including the following list:
- Castle Lager
- Castle Lite
- Kilimanjaro Lager
- Ndovu Special Malt
- Safari Lager
- Castle Milk Stout
- Grand Malta
- Bia Bingwa
- Safari Sparkling Water
The shares of Tanzania Breweries Limited are traded on the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange, under the symbol: TBL. The shareholding in the company's stock as at March 31, 2013 was as depicted in the table below:
|Tanzania Breweries Limited Stock Ownership|
Tanzania Breweries Limited is governed by a ten-person Board of Directors with Cleopa Msuya serving as the Chairman of the group and Philip Redman as the Managing Director.
- Tanzania Breweries Limited Headline Results - March 31, 2013 Archived 25 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- TBL on SABMiller
- "Commercial Credit Report for Tanzania Breweries Limited - Report Preview". www.crmz.com. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "East African Breweries Limited - EABL History". www.eabl.com. Archived from the original on 22 August 2017. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "History of TBL". SaaHiiHii (in Lithuanian). Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- (www.e-afacere.ro), E-afacere. "UrsusBreweries". ursus-breweries.ro. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange - Listed Companies Archived 1 August 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- Tanzania Breweries Limited 2012/13 Annual Report
- EABL gets nod to sell stake in SABMiller's unit
- Company Overview of Tanzania Breweries Limited - Board Members