May 22, 1985 |
|Years active||1999; 2006–present|
|Height||5 ft 9.5 in (1.77 m)|
|Measurements||(US) 33-23.5-34; (EU) 84-59.5-86.5|
|Dress size||(US) 4; (EU) 34|
|Manager||The Society Management (New York)
Elite Model Management (Paris)
ICM Partners (New York, Los Angeles, London)
Traffic Models (Barcelona)
Tao Okamoto (岡本 多緒 Okamoto Tao?), known professionally as Tao (born May 22, 1985), is a Japanese model and actress, who was the face of Ralph Lauren. In 2013, she made her film debut as the female lead, Mariko Yashida, in The Wolverine, opposite Hugh Jackman.
Life and career
Tao was born in Chiba, Japan. She started modeling as a teenager in Japan, when she was 14 years old. In 2006, she made a decision to move to Paris and develop her career on an international level. Soon after that, Tao made her debut on the European runways, breaking barriers as one of the very few prominent East Asian models of that era. Through her long catwalk career, she has walked for numerous top brands, including Alexander Wang, Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Miu Miu, Ralph Lauren, and Yves Saint Laurent.
In 2009, Tao moved to New York City and made waves in the industry by donning a unique bowl haircut. It became an inspirational look and even prompted designer Phillip Lim to model the hairstyle of his entire Fall/Winter 2009 show’s cast after Tao's cut.
Tao has been involved with various advertising and editorial projects. She has fronted campaigns such as D&G with Mario Testino, Emporio Armani by Alasdair McLellan, Kenzo with Mario Sorrenti, and Tommy Hilfiger with Craig McDean. Editorially, she has shot for i-D Magazine, V Magazine, W Magazine, and various international editions of Harper's Bazaar and Vogue.
The November 2009 issue of Vogue Nippon (Japanese Vogue) is dedicated to Tao, with her featured exclusively inside as well as on the cover – the first Japanese model to do so in nearly a decade. Tao is widely recognized as one of the top models to ever come from Japan, having won honors such as "Model of the Year" from the Japan Fashion Editor’s Club and being dubbed as one of Vogue Nippon's "Women of the Year" in 2010.
In 2011, she was part of a collaborative effort to raise funds and awareness for the victims of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan on March 11, 2011.
On the media
- Interview. J-Collabo. Interviewed by Kei Hirano, text by Rena Suno, video by Dorian G. Stone, April 24, 2012.
- Shows in Paris, Milan, New York and London:
- Alexander McQueen, Alexander Wang, Burberry Prorsum, Bottega Veneta, Chanel, Dolce&Gabbana, Donna Karan, Emanuel Ungaro, Fendi, Giorgio Armani, Givenchy, Hermès, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Kenzo, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Maison Martin Margiela, Max Mara, Miu Miu, Moschino, Paul Smith, Phillip Lim, Ralph Lauren, Salvatore Ferragamo, Tommy Hilfiger, Vivienne Westwood, Yves Saint Laurent and more.
- World campaigns:
- Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Kenzo, D&G, Moschino, Emporio Armani, Gap, H&M, MAC, United Colors of Benetton and more.
|2013||The Wolverine||Mariko Yashida|
|2014||Chi no Wadachi||Toko Sakagami||Mini-series on Japanese TV|
|2015||Hannibal||Chiyoh, Lady Murasaki's handmaid||Recurring role|
|2016||Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||Mercy Graves|
- "TAO-Official site - May 2013".
- "J-C interview - 2012".
- "Tao Okamoto - Model Profile - Photos & latest news". Models.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Tao Okamoto - Fashion Model - Profile on New York Magazine". Nymag.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- Kessler, Max (2013-03-18). "Tao Okamoto, beautiful people 2013 by Max Kessler". Paper Mag. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Superman/Batman: Holly Hunter, Callan Mulvey, Tao Okamoto join cast". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Interview Empire Magazine - June 23, 2013". Empireonline.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Tao on Japanese TV - 2010". V.youku.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Tao Okamoto Photos on". Style.com. Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- "Homepage of supermodel Tao Okamoto. Fashion and modeling pictures, movies, scans, photos, shows, model agencies and a biography". Supermodels.nl. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "Tao Okamoto - IMDb". 2014-04-03. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "WOWOW Japanese site". 2014-04-03. Retrieved 2014-04-03.