|Born||12 August 1966|
Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Alma mater||Banaras Hindu University|
|Occupation||MD and CEO|
|Employer||Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Co. Ltd.|
Tapan started his career with New India Assurance Company Limited as a direct officer in 1991. He was a member of the board of directors for Berkshire India Limited and Berkshire Hathway Services India Private Limited during 2011-12.
He is also the president of the Indo-German Chamber of Commerce and was earlier the vice-president for the year 2013-14.
Before becoming the MD and CEO, Tapan was the chief marketing officer at Bajaj Allianz General Insurance, heading all retail channels and territories. He has been with Bajaj Allianz since its inception in 2001. Tapan was also involved in various international projects such as setting up a retail business for Allianz in China. He works in Pune.Tapan received CEO of the Year Award at Satya Brahma founded Pharmaleaders 8th Annual Pharmaceutical Leadership Summit & Business Leadership Awards 2015 in Mumbai & Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company Ltd as Healthcare Insurance Company of the Year.
In 2019, Tapan spoke with HBR Ascend about how he pivoted from science to insurance, how he derived happiness at work when he was young, and how his idea of happiness at work has evolved over the years. Here are some excerpts of his interview on HBR Ascend.
Tapan has a master's degree in physics with a specialization in lasers and spectroscopy from Banaras Hindu University. His basic education was at La Martiniere for Boys in Kolkata and St. Peters, Agra.
Awards and recognition
- CEO of the year 2016 by Insurance Asia.
- India's most trusted CEO 2017 by WCRC Leaders Asia.
- Best admired leader 2016 by White Page International.
- ASSOCHAM Leadership Award - CEO 2016 
- IPE BFSI Leader Award 2013 
- CEO with Human Resource Orientation award at the Asia-Pacific HRM Congress 2015 
- Great People Leader Award 2014 by Allianz SE
- "Top healthcare leaders bag Pharma Leaders 2015, Brand India Winning Awards". pharmabiz.com. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "How a Prominent CEO Channels Unlikely Inspiration". hbrascend.org.