|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Tapio Wirkkala (2 June 1915, Hanko – 19 May 1985) was a Finnish designer and sculptor, a major figure of post-war design. His work ranges from plastic ketchup bottles and metalware to glass, ceramics and plywood in a range of styles. He designed the Finnish markka banknotes introduced in 1955. His range was immense, designing glassware, stoneware, jewelry, and furniture for mass production, as well as individual sculptures in several media.
Among his most famous works have been the design for the Finlandia vodka bottle (1970-2000) and for Iittala's Ultima Thule set of kitchen glasses. Both glassware items feature a dripping icicle look, and in the case of Iittala's popular glassware it is said to have taken thousands of hours to develop a glassblowing technique that would produce the effect.
Wirkkala did much of his initial design work using a traditional Finnish carving knife, the puukko. Wirkkala designed his own version of the knife. The Tapio Wirkkala Puukko was built by Hackman Cutlery and marketed by Brookstone in the US in the early 70's.
Awards and Distinctions
- 1st and 2nd place, Bill Designing Competition of Bank of Finland 1947
- 4 awards, Designing Olympic Stamps 1951
- 3 Grand Prix, Milan 1951
- 3 Grand Prix, Milan 1954
- Lunning Prize 1951
- Order of the Lion of Finland -medal 1955
- 1st place, the World Fair in Brussels 1957
- Society of Industrial Arts'in Medal of the Year 1958
- Grand Prix and Gold Medal, Milan 1960; Silver Medal, Milan 1963
- Domus Golden Obelisk, Milan 1963
- Gold Medal of the President of Italy, Faenza International Ceramics Competition 1963, 1966, 1967, 1969 ja 1973
- Premio Internazionale Vicenza 1963, 1966 ja 1967
- Honorary Royal Designer of Industry, London 1964
- Honorary Prize, the Finnish Cultural Foundation 1968
- Honorary doctorate, Royal College of Arts, London 1971
- Honorary Member of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, London 1971
- Academy of Finland's honorary title of academician 1972
- Teosto organization's medal for Creative Work 1980
- Prince Eugen Medal, Stockholm 1980
- Juergen Wagner. "Postage stamps Olympic Games 1952 Helsinki".
- "404 - Design Forum Finland".
- "Tapio Wirkkala: Applying the Finnish approach to design". thisisFINLAND.