||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Tara Brach (born May 17, 1953) is an American psychologist and proponent of Buddhist meditation. She is the senior teacher and founder of the Insight Meditation Community of Washington, D.C., a "spiritual community" that teaches and practices Vipassana meditation. The group's Wednesday night meeting in Bethesda, Maryland, which is taught by Dr. Brach, is a large gathering of approximately 250-300 people. Her colleagues include Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, Joseph Goldstein and others in the Vipassana or Insight meditation tradition. Brach also teaches about Buddhist meditation at many centers for meditation and yoga in the United States and Europe including Spirit Rock Meditation Center in Woodacre, California, the Kripalu Center, and the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies.
She has taught the application of Buddhist teachings to emotional healing. In 2003, Brach authored Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha, which encapsulated Brach's application of Buddhist teachings such as mindfulness to the psychological process of accepting and healing trauma. In 2013, Brach wrote True Refuge: Finding Peace and Freedom in Your Own Awakened Heart, offering a practical guide to finding our inner sanctuary of peace and wisdom in the midst of difficulty. Brach is an engaged Buddhist.
As an undergraduate at Clark University, Brach pursued a double major in psychology and political science. Brach received a doctorate in clinical psychology from the Fielding Graduate University in Santa Barbara, California. She wrote a dissertation analyzing how individuals with eating disorders can utilize meditation as a healing technique.
She holds conferences at conference centers such as Omega Institute for Holistic Studies in conjunction with Kornfield. She co-founded the Washington, DC Buddhist Peace Fellowship which is a subsidiary of the Buddhist Peace Fellowship.
- Brach, Tara (2013). True Refuge: Finding Peace and Freedom in Your Own Awakened Heart. Bantam. ISBN 0553807625.
- Brach, Tara (2003). Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha. Bantam. ISBN 0-553-80167-8.
- Brach, Tara (2014). Healing Traumatic Fear: The Wings of Mindfulness and Love, in Mindfulness-Oriented Interventions for Trauma: Integrating Contemplative Practices edited by Follette, Briere, Rozelle, Hopper and Rome Guilford Press ISBN 978-1462518586
- Brach, Tara (2012). Mindful Presence: A Foundation for Compassion and Wisdom, in Wisdom and Compassion in Psychotherapy: Deepening Mindfulness in Clinical Practice edited by Christopher K. Germer and Ronald D. Siegel Guilford Press ISBN 978-1462518869
- Brach, Tara. "Feeling Overwhelmed? Remember RAIN" Mindful Magazine, 06/13/2014.
- Brach, Tara. "A More Perfect Union". Yoga Journal.
- Brach, Tara. "Listen to Your Body". Yoga Journal.
- Finding True Refuge: Meditations for Difficult Times (2013) ISBN 978-1604078633
- Mindfulness Meditations: Nine Guided Practices to Awaken Presence and Open Your Heart (2012) ISBN 978-1604077988
- Meditation and Psychotherapy: A Professional Training Course for Integrating Mindfulness into Clinical Practice (2011) ISBN 978-1591799702
- Meditations for Emotional Healing (2009) ISBN 978-1591797418
- Radical Acceptance: Guided Meditations (2007) ISBN 978-0615185583
- Radical Self-Acceptance: A Buddhist Guide to Freeing Yourself from Shame (2005) ISBN 978-1591793212
- Releasing the Barriers to Love: An Interview with Tara Brach Psychology Today with Mark Matousek November 2015.
- Wake Up from Unworthiness – An Interview with Tara Brach Spirituality & Health – September–October 2015.
- First, Forgive Yourself in Dubai’s Yoga Life Magazine Tej Rae interviews Tara Brach, September 2014.
- The Awakened Heart: A Conversation with Tara Brach Psychology Today with Mark Matousek May 15, 2014.
- A Blend of Buddhism and psychology American Psychological Association, Psychologist Profile by Tori Angelis, February 2014.
- Radical Acceptance – Insights at the Edge Tami Simon of Sounds True interviews Tara Brach, 08/13/2013.
- When Ego Meets Non-Ego Shambhala Sun, by Andrea Miller, March 2013.
- Tara Brach & True Refuge: Her Story, Her Truths Elephant Journal, by Edie Lazenby, January 21, 2013.
- Tara Brach on Mindfulness, Psychotherapy and Awakening Psychotherapy.net, by Deb Kory, 2012.
- "Tara Brach - Teacher page". imcw.org. Insight Meditation Community of Washington. Retrieved January 31, 2016.
- Adelman, Ken (May 1, 2005). "What I've learned: Tara Brach". Washingtonian. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- "Tara Brach - Wednesday Night Class". imcw.org. Insight Meditation Community of Washington. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- Publishers Weekly Review Publisher's Weekly review of Radical Acceptance Retrieved January 31, 2016.
- "Tara Brach". Kripalu.org. Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health. Retrieved November 28, 2015.
- "Tara Brach, PhD". Eomega.org. Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Inc. Retrieved November 29, 2015.
- Omega Institute Teacher Page Retrieved November 28, 2015
- "The Gifts of Buddhist & Western Psychology". Eomega.org. Omega Institute for Holistic Studies, Inc. Retrieved August 13, 2011.
- Washington Buddhist Peace Fellowship About Us Page
- "Riding the wave of secular meditation". Retrieved 2015-08-22.
- "Meditation guru Tara Brach is calm eye of Washington's storm - OnFaith". Retrieved 2015-08-22.
- Official website
- Tara Brach's Insight Meditation Community of Washington Biography
- Downloadable talks and meditations at TaraBrach.com, IMCW and Dharmaseed